pH drop

jcegt87

Dude Dude DUDE!!!!!!
so i check my pH and its DOWN to 7.5 HOLY SH(beep)T all my parameters are the same i noticed my fox was pale and just in a corner :sniffles::chair:

heres alkalinity
IMG_0205.JPG

and pH
IMG_0206.JPG

'B' is SW and its 7.5

what should i do :12::12:

only the addition af some saltwater about 2 1/2gallons it was the same brand i originally used SW when i added the new skimmer yesterday :neutral::11::HELP!::HELP!::HELP!:

i was doing good i want to cry now :*(

I would do a water change as soon as possible. If you for some reason can't do this then if it is still open go to a LFS or Petco or Petsmart and buy Seachem Reef Buffer (it is for pH), slowly add 2 tsp every hour or so to raise it up. Have you checked your salinity lately? It is more likely I would think that your fish doesn't look so good from that then your pH level. Open the top of your tank for some oxygenation as well. Maybe move your powerhead if you have one more to the top of the tank to produce a ripple effect giving more oxygen to the tank.

From that picture it looks like your pH is 8.0 and not 7.5 which should be fine. Make sure you look at it under a good light.

Also double check your pH test. Make sure it wasn't a fluke reading.

Last edited:
I would do a water change as soon as possible. If you for some reason can't do this then if it is still open go to a LFS or Petco or Petsmart and buy Seachem Reef Buffer (it is for pH), slowly add 2 tsp every hour or so to raise it up. Have you checked your salinity lately? It is more likely I would think that your fish doesn't look so good from that then your pH level. Open the top of your tank for some oxygenation as well. Maybe move your powerhead if you have one more to the top of the tank to produce a ripple effect giving more oxygen to the tank.

i checke dit with 3 diff test 2 x each

i did with 3 different test 2 x each

Your pH looks like 8.0 on the color chart.There are small pH changes when the lights are on/off.The best time is right after the lights goes out or right before.

yeah your pH will fluctuate slightly depending on the time of day and how much lighting you gave it. Check your salinity level if everything else looks fine and your fish looks ill. How long ago did you add that fish?

theirs two sides to the test one is 'B' saltwater which reads 7.5 and the other side is 'A' freshwater which reads 8.0

my salinity is 1.022

i never knew salt water and freshwater had different pH even thought exactly same

Last edited:
yeah your pH will fluctuate slightly depending on the time of day and how much lighting you gave it. Check your salinity level if everything else looks fine and your fish looks ill. How long ago did you add that fish?

yesterday, he was doing great untill today when i came back from petstore but before i left he was actiuve and bright yellow

i have a buff that came with the marine lab test would that up my pH

well i have about 3small cups of salt left and about 3 gallons of water left somehow i dont think that will help any what if i just add the water in it would help some right????????

Sorry about that,I read the wrong side of your test.I would test the alkalinity then get a buffer.One kind raises pH without affecting alkalinity and another that raises both and another that raises only alkalinity.Without testing both you really don't know which kind to get.I do recommend the Seachem buffers though.

Back