ph dropping

dschertz

Reefing newb
Just looking for some info on why my ph drops, drops from 8.3 to 8 in roughly a day and a half, bring it back up and back down it goes. Tank has been going for about 2 months, fish are doing great, did a few water changes already, all readings on the test kit are 0 (ammonia,nitrite,nitrate) only had a skimmer going for about a week and a half. the water I use has a ph of about 8.3. any thoughts ? plus I am using a marineland hob 400 filter and 2 power heads, one 1050, and a 530 on a 50g tank.

That is perfectly normal and it happens in every tank. The pH will be lower in the AM after the lights have been off all night and will gradually get higher during the day when the lights are on.

+1 Capt, A way you can help this is to have the lights in your sump running all the time. This can help stabalize your PH

Mine goes from 8.0 to 7.8 after a couple of days I cant seem to keep it up even if I use buffer. I killed 2 of my fish trying to buffer to get it to what is considered normal. My fish are fine with it at 7.8 so now I just leave it alone.

Nope most people don't, if you pH only drops to 8 and stays steady there then you should just leave it alone. A constant slightly lower pH is better then a constantly fluctuating one (my tanks have stayed at 7.8 since they were first set up).

and I'm guessing coral will be just fine in those conditions as well ? seems with all the parameters that you are suppose to use is not always true then......kinda like medicine. just practice. :-)

Try not dosing, and see what the pH does on its own. If you are actually having pH issues, you might also have issues with your alk, mag, and calcium. Those are all related to each other.

Also remember, around 8.2 is fine, it doesnt have to be exact or stay at one value.

Back