PH of tank at night?

PringlesLFE

Mmm...Salty.
I've noticed that at night when my tank light shuts off, my clowns in particular begin swimming slower and vertically and honestly don't look too comfortable. I understand this is due to the pH levels dropping without the light on.
I was wondering for those of you who don't have sumps and aren't able to keep a light on 24/7 to maintain pH levels, what do you guys do about this issue? Is this really harmful for the livestock to be experiencing this every night?

Being a college student, my roomate and I sleep extremely irregular hours and sometimes have a desk lamp on all night (about 3ft away from the tank) and I notice it helps.

Tonight I just got back to my room (yes, it's 6am here) and found my smaller clown laying on the sandbed almost struggling to stay afloat...and after I turned on the desk lamp nearby, it's started perking up a bit. Advice is greatly appreciated :bowdown:

Side note: My Cerith snails have successfully bred.....ONE SNAIL! I'm pretty sure it's the Cerith's, too hard to tell at this point but I only have one other Margarita and one Nassarius so i'm assuming the eggs i find all over the place are Ceriths. It's really really small and my clowns seem to take a liking to stalking it....but I hope it lives lol.

I dont think it is due to the change in pH

Fish sleep just like people do. I run a sump with lighting and my clown act the same way yours are at night. Anyways, clowns are just goofy to begin with.

+3 bj My clown used to float at the very top of the water, behind the overflow once lights were out...first time i saw this I freaked out lol It was my first fish, so i thought I killed it.

+4 BJ. clowns sleep swimming in funny patterns, or laying against weird stuff. my other fish hide tucked in the rocks. They need a day-night cycle just as much as people do.

It's normal for the pH to drop at night. Running a refugium on an opposite (or 24/7) light schedule will keep help it stabilized, but unless your pH is dropping really low, it's not going to harm anything.

Back