pH questions

kimoy

CERTIFIED BUM
I have been running my tank with a pH of 7.8 to 7.9 for almost 3 years now without any problem. I want to raise it up in the lower 8's and tried the buffer twice with no results. Does anyone have any suggestions on how do I raise my pH to the level I want (8.2 to 8.4)? will adding an airstone in the sump raise pH? or do I just leave it the way it is since it is doing okay. thanks in advance.

What are your calcium and alkalinity levels at? If you are maintaining good alkalinity and calcium levels than you shouldn't have to worry too much about pH unless you are running a calcium reactor pretty heavily.

I've been running my calcium at 440-460 and alk at 3.5-4 and being maintained by a calcium reactor. And if it helps it is mixed reef but dominated with an sps.

Your pH is probably low due to the calcium reactor (the CO2 that dissolves the media is low in pH), it shouldn't be anything to worry about. Leave the buffers alone, the calcium reactor is your buffering system.

so I should just leave the pH where it is? the effluent that is coming out of the reactor is at 6.75- 6.9.

Thats probably whats causing your pH to be a little low, I would leave it, if you try to mess with it you are probably going to do more harm than good. How many mL a minute are coming out of your effluent and whats the dkh?

Back