Ph Swings

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
I've brought this up before...

My ph right now is going from 7.86 in the morning to 8.34 in the evening.
Is this bad?
Not sure what to do about it if it is.
My house is shut up tight year round, temp controlled so it's not like I'm getting a ton of fresh air during the day and then windows closed at night or vice-versa.
I also have two-part dosing all day every day with brs dosers, so that's consistent.
And my fuge light is on opposite my tank lights.

Thoughts? :dunno:

I've brought this up before...

My ph right now is going from 7.86 in the morning to 8.34 in the evening.
Is this bad?
Not sure what to do about it if it is.
My house is shut up tight year round, temp controlled so it's not like I'm getting a ton of fresh air during the day and then windows closed at night or vice-versa.
I also have two-part dosing all day every day with brs dosers, so that's consistent.
And my fuge light is on opposite my tank lights.

Thoughts? :dunno:

Sounds kinda normal to me. Isn't the PH of the tank usually lower in the morning with the lights turned off?

Considering how effing awesome your tank looks, i wouldnt worry about it. Plus, you have a nem that surviving and thriving with those pH swings, so it cant be all that bad.

Ya, I just always heard ph swings were bad. And I thought the fuge light running at night was supposed to help?

I think pH swings are the more tolerable swings in this hobby, because we all have them. I also think that is one thing that the ocean might have local swings in as well.

I also think the volume of your fuge is pretty small compared to your main tank, so you have less of a volume of water that has pH that is being raised compared to the volume of water that has the pH being lowered. Im not sure if im explaining this well . . .

Fish is right, the volumes are so different... also there's a whole lot more photosynthesis in the display than in the fuge.

Remember that these pH swings are happening relatively gradually. You have problems when they're very drastic and very fast-- ie, putting in a bunch of those pH up/down solutions so there's an instantaneous (or nearly) change in pH. In your case, the range is pretty small, and it happens gradually through the whole day. So, I wouldn't sweat it.

Back