Phosphate/silcate sponge

WarmWaterDiver

Reefing newb
I am wondering what phosphate removers are the best. I have been using Phosguard for the past few months with great success until this morning. I woke to find my tank horribly cloudy. The only additive currently running that would give off any sort of whitish cloudiness is the phosguard... I don't use anything else except alkalinity buffer that would cloud the tank. I want to make sure the next phosphate remover I use will not have this nasty effect. Any recommendations would be great!

I don't think that Phosguard would have made your tank cloudy all of a sudden. Especially when you have been using it for months without seeing this effect before.

Cloudy water is usually an indication of a bacterial bloom. What are your parameters testing at? Are all your animals accounted for? If something dies in your tank, it can cause cloudy water all of a sudden.

Biffs right.Check your parameters and count your fish.
Is there any chance that your sand bad has been disturbed?Some times if thats the case,the bacteria that gets released can cause a big bloom.

No algae bloom... I always have a little red slime that comes and goes but nothing big. My fish are all accounted for and my corals are all doing well except my gorgonian but he's fussy. It was really strange, almost like when you dose PurpleUp... my tank was totally white. I don't have any fish large enough to make that kind of cloud out of my sand bed. I can honestly can say I have no idea what really caused it. My parameters are all great except a little NO3... Just glad to see that everythings cleared up.

phosguard just doesn't do that "all of the sudden" unless you changed it and didn't wash it. You should always wash the media bag before putting it in your sump.

-Doc

Back