Photos Of My 10 Gallon Tank

MrKyotoSahn

Reefing newb
Let me know what you guys think about the setup.. Is my circulation ok where it is, or should I move it higher or lower? Thanks for the advice everyone

Attachments

• DSC00987.jpg
    DSC00987.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,090
  • DSC00988.jpg
    DSC00988.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 527
  • DSC01002.jpg
    DSC01002.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 560
So here's an update on my tank guys.. I'm in my third week this is 15th day.. I started with 20 lbs live sand, 12 lbs of live rock and an Aquaclear 50 HOB filter, a 50 watt heater and JEBO 20 inch compact flourescent 2x24 watt 10k light and acitinic light as well. I used the carbon filter and the bio crystals that come with it, which I had read not to do but I did anyway, anyhow, I put a peppermint shrimp and 2 hermit crabs the day after I set up the tank. I'm still kinda new at this and LFS said to put them in it would be ok.. They all are alive right now. However I lost an ocelaris clown when I put him in at day 7.. He lasted for two days in my tank since my nitrates went sky high when I put him in and then he started growing a white slime on him.. The guy at my LFS said it was probably parasites he had when I bought him or maybe it was because my temp was fluctuating because i was disconnecting my heater when I would turn on my lights during the day.. Big mistake that was. So after my fish died day 9, I did a 40% water change, replaced the carbon filter and bio crystals with live rock in my HOB filter.. I put in my Hydor Koralia 240 pump and just yesterday I added 6 more lbs of live rock.. One of those rocks was filled with coraline algae and the guy at my LFS said that was good for my tank. So my nitrates are at about 30 ppm which I think is good since they were at about 160 ppm when my fish died about 6 days ago.. I guess the extra liverock helped. Sorry for ranting but I really want my tank to thrive and I would love any help or tips you pros might have out there for me. Thanks James and ChiChi for the advice on pointing the powerhead towards the surface.. A lot more current :) .. So now its just a guessing game I guess till I can add fish. I also want to add corals. Softies since I heard they are best for beginners like me. Should I add coral or fish first? And how low do I let my nitrates go before I can add anything period? Thanks guys.

Here's the pictures with the new rocks and the powerhead adjustment, and now my temperature is at steady 80 degrees. All my inverts molted once already and they seem to be doing really good. These lil guys are not camera shy.

Attachments

• DSC01006.jpg
    DSC01006.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 338
  • DSC01008.jpg
    DSC01008.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 311
  • DSC01034.jpg
    DSC01034.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 297
  • DSC01037.jpg
    DSC01037.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 347
  • DSC01042.jpg
    DSC01042.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:
ok with your tank being new you need to keep track of ammonia nitrites nitrates and ph.
ammonia should be 0 ppm, nitrites should be 0 ppm. nitrates the best is 0 but they must never get above 20 keep them under 5 and you should be good ph i try to keep my tank at 8.2. once you tank is cycled you need to do water changes to dorp your nitrates down. once that is all done put a fish in and watch you tank parameters. and as far as corals give your self some time to get in good a routine with tank maintenance. just take it slow and you will have better results with you tank.

It looks better with the new powerhead angle. Seeing the surface "rolling" is a god thing for gas exchange and to keep things from settling on the surface. I agree with emmett that your nitrates are too high. Unfortunately, this takes time and routine maintenance. If you are at 30ppm, and do a 50% water change, you are likely to only see them drop to 15ppm. So, it will take many changes to get them down to the needed 0ppm. I am surprised your shrimp made it, and the fish didn't. Your tank is still cycling, and you shouldn't add anything for at least a few more weeks (which gives you time to get your nitrates down). I would take everything your LFS says with a grain of salt. It sounds like he has some good info for you, but he is encouraging you to buy things too soon. I would say to always err on the side of "slower is better." If not for the sake of your bank roll, at least for the sake of the animal's health.
So, great work so far! Keep up with routine maintenance, and slow down. If your tank is reading any nitrates above 5ppm (and personally I'd say above 0ppm), then don't put anything in. Even in your LFS says it's okay. I'd be willing to bet that he wouldn't do the same to his own tank :)
I like your start, and I'll be following your thread if you post more questions...

You're doing great! Now just get those nitrates down to 0-5 and you'll be rollin'!
+1 emmet and james. The only thing I would do differently is I wouldn't change any more than 30% at one time. If you had no life in there it wouldn't matter, but inverts are sensitive to changes in the water. Also with the bigger water changes it is more important to match salinity and temp as close as you can get to what is in the tank already.
As far as your tank, stability is key. Any parameter swings can really be stressful to your inhabitants. 80 degrees is a little warm but as long as its consistent it will work. Ten gallon tanks can have major salinity swings if you dont keep it topped off as well. An ATO is almost a must on such a small system. I just use a gallon jug with airline tubing and a drip valve regulator. Super cheap and easy, but you have to make sure it is dripping at about the same rate you are evaporating (watch the water level in the tank).
As far as corals go, I'd say as soon as your nitrates are down, try adding a mushroom coral or some type of softie and see how it does before adding any fish or more sensitive corals. Good luck, and great job so far!

Thanks for all your advice everyone.. it is greatly appreciated.. What do you guys think about using the ocean water sold at Petco that comes in a box for water changes? It seemed to work pretty good for my last water change..Just wondering if any of u guys have used it before.. Its about 2 bucks a gallon which isn't bad... Since I would probably be doing a 20 to 30% wc every week.

I can't say I have experience with the pre made water, but you can buy a bag of salt that will make around 50-60 gallons of water at correct salinity for around $20-25....at $2 a gallon that would run you $100-$120. Cost vs. convenience?

Back