Picking up my mantis on friday!

Mattyice008

Reefing newb
So I went in a LFS that said they could get me a peacock mantis, and it turns out that his supplier has 1 peacock mantis in stock, 3 inches long (exactly what i wanted), and it has crazy ass colors on it, with a lot of red.

Picking it up on friday to take him to his new home :)
Any advice on caring for him on his first few days?

@north Dana has helped me out a lot, and I loved his mantis shrimp, RIP. I just wanted to ask around, didn't want to keep bugging him lol

@dixie oh trust me, I'm going to have a ton of pics. I'll record his first live feed also :) I'll probably do a small emerald crab or something

Make sure you acclimate him/her properly. You shouldn't have a light over an O.S. (peacock). If you do he won't last long. Shell rot will get em. Try to make the trnasitition as less stressful as possible. That's about it.

As far as a "peacock" "clown" mantis. blue light would be ok. I wouldn't recommend any lights good enough to grow coral. From what I've read (which is A LOT) and heard they are very interactive. Which means he doesn't always stay in his burrow, hes going to be all over your tank. Any excessive light will cause shell rot.

Disclaimer. I've never owned a O.S. but always wanted one and some day will have one. But this is what I've read. When I do get one it will have enuff light to grow macro algae like a fuge type light with prolly a blue led strip. If I don't do a light I will use indirect sunlight with atinic t5. Remember these guys are typically 10-30 meters deep in the wild.

Back