Pico ATO?

SigEpLucas

Nano Reefer
So I need to figure out a way to add an auto top off to my pico aquarium to help prevent any salinity swings. Ultimately I figure I need to find a way to replace about 4-5oz of water everyday. My first plan was to use a dosing pump on an automatic timer; however, these pumps do about 448oz per hour so even if I put it on a timer that runs for 1 minute per day it would put about 7.5oz back in which is too much...I don't think I really have room for a float switch or any actual ATO sensors since the aquarium is so small.

Any thoughts?! This is on a 2.5g aquarium so thats why I'm concerned with such little evaps and refills!

Any good threads or places to look at the gravity fed system? Seems when I let it go more than a day it evaporates way more! Over the weekend it was like 32oz I guess the lower it gets the faster it evaporates? Definitely need to do something before I add any coral

You can make one also, some people use the baby brine shrimp funnels, you can just attach it on and set the drain on it until it matches your evap. Should have one at your LFS for pretty cheap.

So I decided to try the gravity feed method using an air valve controller to control the drip speed. We're dripping about 1 every 26.7 seconds so I think that should equal out to my evaporation but I guess we'll see tomorrow when I get in. I just used a bicycle cage to hold the bottle to the wall and the bottle as a lid that opens to allow for air in the bottle. I don't see too many opportunities for failure with this system other than the suction cups holding the feed line coming off the filter. Any ideas for holding this in better? I was thinking of maybe just getting a veggie clip and siloconing the return line through the clip and putting that on the back of the tank. I wish there was a way I could "hide" the bottle but thats going to take some creativity...

Gravity Fed - Auto Top Off
photo2_zps9e0b99fd.jpg

Drip
photo1_zpsf5fa6e0f.jpg

Bottle
photo3_zps256e7fe8.jpg

Back