Pictures of tank

shanet1975

Reefing newb
Here are a ouple pictures of the new tank setup.
Work in progress and I really really appreciate all of the help you all have been giving me...

Putfile - Uploaded Picture

Putfile - Uploaded Picture

If someone can tell me what kind of fish this is I'd really appreciate it.

I have one powerhead to the left under the overflow and the return is on the right. I have a korallia 3 coming, bu they are backordered. Will this be OK until that comes in?

Thanks again everyone!!!

nice set up..it looks like a cinnamon tomato clown you have there..my favoryte clownfish!!..system looks great..good luck!!

Thanks for the input....Now I can start to decide what to get next.....I have to wait untiol I get the levels right though. Nitrates were a tad high at 40. Nemo (3 little kids and of course that became his/her name) is a really cool cat...or fish. Seems to be quite content. He has also been alone for the past 3 years. Will that affect any other fish I try to introduce? I don't want him to be a bully.... :)
This is truly an enjoyable hobby and all 3 little little ones are quite intrigued. It'll be nice to get some more life in there......
Man, my mind is just full of questions.....I added 3 turbo snails, but they all died right away. Didn't even move an inch. Seems a bit odd. What is a good hardy cleanup crew I can introduce once the levels are better as well....
The levels started out at :
Nitrate - 40
Nitrite - 0
Ammonia .25
PH - 8.2

When you're ready to add a new fish.,don't get another clownfish.They would only fight.I think you should be good with other fish though but avoid those territorial/aggressive damsels.Snails are sensitive to sudden changes in salinity so always drip acclimate them.From what I read,even the smallest changes can burst there internal organs.

I like a variety of snails as my cleanup crew.Others will have there's.Mine doesn't include hermit crabs,brittle/serpent stars or nudibranches.Let your algae and what types guide you on what kind to get and how much.

Astrea/Trochus-brown algae/diatoms
Mexican Turbos-hair algae
Cerith-stir sand/algae
Nassarius-stir sand/scavenger
Queen or Fighting Conch-scavenger,clean sand bed

There are others but may not be as readily available-Bubble Bee and Nerite.
Like Biff would say avoid Margaritas cause they are cold water species that don't live for very long in our systems.

Visit eTropical.com for more...free shipping on cleaner package when you build your own.

Last edited:
The snails could've died from the high nitrate levels too. Inverts are sensitive to nitrates. I'm guessing it's something having to do with how you acclimated them or your water quality.

Also, what is the best way to acclimate new additions? I don't know what drip acclimate means. I just let the bag sit in the water of the tank for 30 minutes, plucked the ;little guys out and dropped them in. That probably wasn't correct.

Drip acclimation means acclimating them by slowly dripping in your tank water. Floating them for 15 to 30 minutes is the first step. Then you should slowly add a little of your tank water to the bag a little at a time over another 15 to 30 minutes. Once you've done this, you can add them to your tank.

I like to drip untill the salinity in the bag matches my tank.

I like to take some out the bag,then add an equal amount back.

tank looks great. the powerhead should be fine for the time being, hey some whater flow is better than none. the snails died from water quality i would assume. i lost 1 turbo at first back when i set up my 36 due to adding it too soon. best of luck with future additions, but i would get your peramiters in check before you decide to do that.

Back