Pineapple shrimp killed by Ball anemone

rlsdsurfer

Reefing newb
Just brought home a pineapple shrimp after watching it closely...wait just staggered....it was being held on to by what I've been told are Ball anemones. This anemone had a grip on the body of the shrimp. I separated them and the shrimp is now lethargic, have dead, on it's side.

Been told Ball anemone's are harmless, if so then maybe I have something else b/c this anemone did have a hold on this shrimp, and it's not well! Here are some pic of ball anemone. Thee one on the bottom left had a hold of the shrimp.

Attachments

• Picture 69.jpg
    Picture 69.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 666
  • Picture 76.jpg
    Picture 76.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 479
How did you acclimate the shrimp? And what are your levels? It's possible the shrimp died from the stress of the move, and his body drifted into the ball anemone. Inverts are very sensitive to changes.

I've had shrimp crawl over my ball nem colonies to no ill effects.

How did you acclimate the shrimp? And what are your levels? It's possible the shrimp died from the stress of the move, and his body drifted into the ball anemone. Inverts are very sensitive to changes.

I've had shrimp crawl over my ball nem colonies to no ill effects.

Had the LFS check my water before I bought it. They said it was fine. Thats 2 Pineapple shrimps in 2 days. They said the first one, being smaller, was stressed out by my much larger skunk cleaner due to the Nano size tank.Lasted 7 hours. I have a kinds of life in my tank, pods, snails, craps, worms, some tiny curly snail looking critters on the class. That have red hairs coming out, any clues LFS has no idea. My tank is very healthy. Am acclimating for over 2 hours.:frustrat:

Honestly, they probably just couldn't handle the stress of the move. But I still doubt it was the ball nem. Sometimes they just die.

LOL on a side note, I googled "Pineapple shrimp" and found tons of recipes for shrimp with pineapples :D *nom nom nom*

Acclimation Procedure for Aquatic Life: Welcoming Home New Arrivals

That is a great acclimation guide. I prefer the drip method and I let the bag sit in the sump for temp control as I acclimate. I first started doing it in buckets and the water in the bucket cooled off way too fast. I just have to be more careful about the store water getting into my system (no overflowing the bags while in the sump). Good luck with your next addition.
PS, you should always do your own water testing and rely on the store for a backup or a double check. A lot of retailers will tell you what you want to hear so that you will go ahead and spend more money. Never depend on people who want your money to be straight with you. That's what makes the forum so wonderful!

I've lost many inverts to anemone's... My Banded coral shrimp picks food out of the mouth of my anemone.. I dont know how that idiot hasnt become supper yet.

Back