Placement for mushrooms

Low and slow, that's what they like. :)
Mine didn't like where he was after a month or so and detached and floated away to a new spot where he is now dropping babies happily.

You'll see he isn't happy after a week or 2 if he isn't inflating or whatnot. I'd give it some time for him to get used to things. I am talking about the "slimy" type of mushroom moving around or "detaching". My rics and green hairy mushroom have never moved. I knew they weren't happy because they wouldn't inflate. They stayed all small and shrively. You have to move them about on your own.

The mushroom came attached to a rock, right? If so, place the rock in the bottom portion of the tank -- on the sandbed is fine.

hmm mine gets good light, near the top third, and has been doing just fine. noticed another new baby last night. i have heard that there more irritable to high flow than high light, i dont know if theres truth in that or not.

mushrooms can tolerate a large array of lighting and thrive in most of it. flow is what I have found to be the one thing that mushrooms slow down in if they are in to much of it.. Lower to moderate lighting works best for most.. One that "I" have found that likes a little stronger water movement is the Ric's.. I have three different rocks with rics on them and the ones in the upper third of the tank with stronger water movements are multiplying at a much quicker rate then the ones in a lower light with slower movement.. where as my neon striped and hairy mushrooms are doing much better in the lower portions with a little less movement..

Back