Planned 150g

Jmck

Reef enthusiast
Alright, well ive gone through everything that would be likely to fit up the stairs and into my room and it looks like a 5x2x2 would be the best and have also gone on the bandwagon of convincing my parents to let me have this tank.

Ive decided its better in the end to go new. And the tank will be all glass drilled with 3 section sump. Skimmer is still being chosen but im looking at a 4foot lighting (forgotten exact name) but it has three 250 watt metalhalides and four 54 watt t5 bulbs. It has an external ballast so the lighting is very light.

I will be building a bracket to hold the lighting so i dont need to hang it from the roof.

So far, the tank stand will be black and has a black rim the same as the stand but i might take that off and have it as rimless, just not sure which way looks best.

Ill be able to get some pictures of the tank when I next head to the LFS because he had one that came with a big scratch, but he might have returned that by now.

The thought is though, whether or not i get the tank and stand custom built to get it 900mm high instead of 750 mm.

Im planning on putting a lot of big fish in and was wondering, would these tangs be ok to add.

Yellow Tang - Hawaii
Yellow Belly Regal Blue Tang (if i can get one here)
Powder Blue Tang
purple Tang

and would also like a Powder Brown Tang but im guessing it will be fighting with the powder blue tang wont it?

What other big fish can i put in there, if any?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would do the regal and powder blue first since they are the most delicate.I'm not sure how the purple and yellow will get along but definitely add them at the same time and after the other two settle.I seen people make it work with both a powder blue and brown in large systems,I just don't know if 150g. is large enough.

You going reef or predator/fish only?

Pics will be coming when I head to the LFS :P he has a 5foot currently fully setup and hopefull still has the empty one, but have a few months to plan this I think, waiting for my birthday haha.

Its going to be a reef system, I dont think I could do just a flowr I love buying corals!

So you think the powder blue and brown will fight in a 150?

btw, is this too many tangs for one tang? and what other nice reef safe wish would you recommend?

I don't think having a purple tang in with the yellow is such a good choice. Because they're both Zebrasoma tangs, from my experience tangs from the same genus generally don't get along with each other.

btw, is this too many tangs for one tang? and what other nice reef safe wish would you recommend?

Anthias Josh.No big reef tank is complete without several of them.Bartletts and Lyretails being the easiest of the anthias.One male and two or more females.

I don't think having a purple tang in with the yellow is such a good choice. Because they're both Zebrasoma tangs, from my experience tangs from the same genus generally don't get along with each other.

Although I agree with this for the most part.People here and other sites have successfully put more then one zebra in the same tank.That was why my suggestion if you do attempt this then add them at the same time.

MCR i havent been home for over 24 hours now :P ive been replying on my phone. so soooooon ill get some pics, i promise :D

and i think i might still try the purple and yellow, and possibly the powders, if i can get two at the same time that are about the same size, I love trying new things, but i promise, ill take him out of there is trouble! im not going to hurt the fish.

I want to get them all as small as possible really, want them to grow in my tank :D

Reef, are you able to get two schools of anthias? of the two different types? because that would be cool having 14 fish going around with my tangs :D unless that would be too much for the tank. or even two schools of 5 fish

Whoah,slow down?You definitely can have more then one type of anthias but 14 with big tangs and who know what else?That might be too much for one tank that size.Even anthias of different species school together so give them some thought.

ok, so they school together, so if i look at 1 male of each type, and 2 females of each, 6 would be good?

And why is it you suggest only two tangs for this tank? I guess ideal, i would like 4 tangs, but if that is not good, then ill get picking what i like

Ok, well out of everything, this is what I want to do

1 pyramid butterfly
1 Yellow tang
1 Powder blue tang
1 Purple tang
1 Yellow Belly Regal Blue Tang (if i can get one here)
3 bartlett anthias 1 male 2 female
3 lyretail anthias 1 male 2 female
2 spotted mandarins after tank is established
I dont know if there are any other fish, but that looks about my limits if not above. What are your thoughts?

How about taking one tang out?C'mon,there is too much blue/purple moving about in there.

You're going to have to sex the mandarins or buy them as mated pairs.Two males may fight to the death.I would also wait until the tank has matured too.

I believe you cannot choose male or female for the barlett. And I'm not sure if the different type of male anthias would fight. If I were you, i would skip the mail Lyretail and order the 3 Barlet first and see if there are any male behavior going on. If there are none, then you can order the Lyretail male in your next order.

Back