planning on building my own sump.. help

lilduud

Reefing newb
its going to be 10 inches wide 36 inches long and 12 inches high... which will be just under 20 gallons... its going to be for my 55 once i have gathered all the materials.
my question are more so about the sump parts... what plexi should i use? is homedepot plexi thick enough and safe? also what sealant should/can i use .... any suggestions appreciated...

i used a 30 gal long glass tank only cost me $50 from my lfs you will spend more money and time messing with plexi glass !!! its 36x12x16 i had glass baffles cut by a local glass shop cost me $40 so it cost me under $100 for the whole sump

Attachments

• P5031606.jpg
    P5031606.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 6,708
Last edited:
I was going to convert a 20 gallon long tank but unfortunately no generic tank will fit under the stand for a 55... I have about a 10.5 inch width to work with I believe

that will most likely fit... thats a tad smaller than id like but it may work because my skimmer was going to be on the outside of the sump anyway

That plexi can be quite expensive and cutting can be nasty stuff.

If a small glass aquarium won't work, maybe modifying the stand would be a possible solution?

-A

yea i actually found out that the piece of wood in the center that was the most constraining piece actually doesnt have any purpose support wise. im just going to cut it out and it can hang off the back an inch or two

Use glass baffles, and cut them yourself, the smallest sheets from home depot shouldn't be too far off, and glass cutters really aren't all that expensive. Just don't get tempered glass, as that will just smash if you try to cut/drill it. For silicone, use 100% silicon, with no perfumes, dyes, etc.

Back