please help me

+1 PRC :) that way we know exactly what you're working with and can figure out how to best directed you in solving the problems :)

um I have an air pump by tetra, a marineland multi-storage canister filter the model is c-360, eheim jager 150 w thermo saftey control aka heater. and the thank is 55 gallons

okay, get rid of the air pump and go get yourself a few Korolia 2's. They are a water pump that creates movement... aim them towards the top of the tank to get the water on top moving like mini waves... that will help with oxygen in there and basic movement.

eventually replace the canister filter... I'd go get something like a protein skimmer because it'll be better for your tank in the long run

couldn't i just do a protein skimmer and the canister filter? and how many Korolia 2's? any suggestions on a specific brand of protein skimmer and wat specific gph for korolia 2

Last edited:
you dont want the canister filter at all because its a nitrate factory if you dont empty it very often, like daily.
reef octopus are great skimmers for the money. I havent had any problems with mine.
but really the live rock is more important than the skimmer. some people go skimmerless, but thats alot more maintenance because you have to do more frequent water changes.

you want at least 10x turnover, so you can do any combination you want really. just try to get the flow everywhere so you dont have dead spots where there isnt any flow. The detritus and uneaten food will gather there.
as yote will tell you, "you cant have too much flow unless the sand is suspended".

you dont want the canister filter at all because its a nitrate factory if you dont empty it very often, like daily.
reef octopus are great skimmers for the money. I havent had any problems with mine.
but really the live rock is more important than the skimmer. some people go skimmerless, but thats alot more maintenance because you have to do more frequent water changes.

you want at least 10x turnover, so you can do any combination you want really. just try to get the flow everywhere so you dont have dead spots where there isnt any flow. The detritus and uneaten food will gather there.
as yote will tell you, "you cant have too much flow unless the sand is suspended".
do you reccoment any specific model for the octopus skimmer? also is there anything i can add to get rid of all my hair algae. I think I'm going to buy about 10lb - 20lb more liverock which would make my live rock a total of 25lb - 35lb more but I think i may just set up a 10 gallon tank with my air pump to quarantine the rock when i buy it. I think I'm going to try to either make a refugium or buy one that way i have a place to put the protein skimmer and breed cope pods for my scooter blenny though he has been eating the copepods i put in cant tell if there breeding but can tell he's getting bigger. teh refugium would also be a sump and the quarantine tank would be just for quarantining live rock and maybe breeding cope pods

just watch when you go to add more live rock especially that much because it will probably kick off another cycle... do you still have any of your fish?

You don't have Sump yet so you would have to get a hang on back. I have no experience with that. You could set up a Sump with a fuge to just knock out a lot of what you any to do right away.

When you get a Skimmer get one that is overrated for your system. Ie. One that would be for 100 gal total water volume would go on a 55 gal tank.

all of my fish are alive and seem to have grown a little

no offense but I think you're seeing things if their growing... fish don't grow that fast in a few days... how long have you had them in there? they may seem bigger but its very doubtful that they are

well they were pretty much babies when i bought them. the clowns when i bought them hadnt had the black stripe on the end of their tail and now they do have it

I think younger fish also grow pretty fast. I have noticed growth in a matter of a week or two before with my Tangs. I feed them quite a lot too, which helps them grow faster. Maybe?

Back