Please Help!!! Remora Fills In 5 Minutes!!!!

sasscuba

Reefing newb
I have had my Aqua C Remora with Mag 3 pump running for 2 weeks now. I have had terrible bubbles being put into tank since day one....

Now after a partial water change the skimmer cup fills with clear water after only 5 minutes at the highest setting?

Tank is 125 gallon with 150 pounds of LR and about 30 mixed snails and hermits. I also have 1 lawnmower blennie.....waiting until I work out all the kinks before I put any real fish in it.

Is it possible there is nothing to skim now and that is why it is filling?

First 2 weeks I did get brown skimmate but now this.

Please help.

This skimmer is driving me nuts!!!

The skimmer cup should not fill up with clear water or very wet foam, in these cases you have just added some additives and it will settle down or your skimmer is not properly adjusted. I would assume the latter. unfortunately I am not familiar with the ramora skimmer so maybe others will weigh in here. Double check your installation instructions that came with the skimmer and you should have instructions on how to adjust the skimmer. sorry, good luck. let us know when you find out the problem and get it adjusted.

It is a Remora Pro and the only thing I add to the tank is B-Ionic 2 part and I have added over the past week STABILITY by Seachem for New Tank Syndrome per the LFS instructions.....it did not do this 6 days ago and this stuff is to be added for 7 days...is this doing it and how do I fix??? I changed out 30 gallons of water today...I am using premixed from the LFS which is RO mixed with Instant Ocean.

I have a Remora Pro. If you add anything that says it helps the fishs' "slime coat" or anything with aloe in it, that will screw up the Remora big time. When I first got my Remora, I added one of those "slime coat" things with the water change, like I always did, and my skimmer was out of commission for a good two weeks. Even now, I don't put anything extra in the water, but when I do a water change the cup fills up every four hours or so for about 24 hours after the water change. I did one last night, and when I got up this morning there was gunk all over the wall and the floor behind the tank. I'd recommend that if you don't have time to check the cup every few hours (who does?) that it's probably better to unplug the thing for about a day after doing a water change.

As for the bubbles, I purchased the add-on overflow box with mine, which eliminates bubbles, so I'm afraid I can't help you with that part of the question. I will say though that mine does not appear to create any bubbles before it hits the overflow box, so that seems a little off. The overflow boxes are relatively cheap and they greatly improve skimming efficiency, so if bubbles continue to be a problem and you can't get it figured out, it may be worthwhile to buy one. Or they are super easy to make yourself. The Remora overflow boxes are extremely simple.

By far this is the best hang-on the back skimmer available (I've tried a few) so I would say to try and be patient. I believe the instructions say that it takes a few weeks to really get going properly. So don't give up on it yet, when it works, it works REALLY well.

But the cup filling up after every water change is normal... Very annoying, but normal.

I have a remora pro on my 58 frag tank and havent ever had any problems, like jhnrb said the most common thing to cause this to happen is a chemical added to the tank, any kind of slime coat or stress additive with aloe or many other chemicals can cause a skimmer to go crazy. usually it will settle down in a couple days, just leave it off for 48 hrs and then turn it back on and watch it for awhile. if youve got the collection cup all the way up then I dont see anything wrong with the adjustment, it must be something in the water. let us know what happens

same thing here except i added a rio 2500 on my remora pro since they are rated for up to 120 gallon so i added bigger pump has same size outlet. Works great but i do have bubble problem to sometimes no bubbles other time alot of bubbles.

Back