Please Help

Brian0818

Reefing newb
I am new to reef tanks. I have a saltwater 55 gallon tank with a full filtration system that goes under the sand bed and provides water movement through the powerheads. Then I have 2 hang off the back filters. Just normal filters that u would see on a freshwater tank. Now lately ive been seeing how cool reefs tanks are so im trying to see how i can convert my tank to reef ready. I have no idea were to start though. Like do i need a sump? or a wet/dry filter? what about a protein skimmer? do i get a hangoff the back or what? Please just give me a list of everything i need but im on a type budget so please just try to keep it at a descent price. Thanks

Newbie here, so take my advice with a pinch of salt until some of the much more experienced posters share their advice.

I would say you do need a sump for a 55 gallon, and a protein skimmer is definitely a must. I don't know much about hang off skimmers but I don't think they would process as well as one's which are in sump's.

Newbie here, so take my advice with a pinch of salt until some of the much more experienced posters share their advice.

I would say you do need a sump for a 55 gallon, and a protein skimmer is definitely a must. I don't know much about hang off skimmers but I don't think they would process as well as one's which are in sump's.

Well im about to buy this one the guy says i should just be good with the skimmer and the live rock will do the rest as a natural filtration

Reef Octopus BH100 Hang-on-the-Back Protein Skimmer - Bulk Reef Supply

I would go with a skimmer that's rated at least twice ur tanks size. I would look into building a diy sump and overflow...u can save a lot of money that way and the added water volume would help your water quality. u can put together a sump and overflow for less than 50 bucks.

I would go with a skimmer that's rated at least twice ur tanks size. I would look into building a diy sump and overflow...u can save a lot of money that way and the added water volume would help your water quality. u can put together a sump and overflow for less than 50 bucks.

Ok can u tell me how and everything i need

A sump is not required, but it makes it easier to run things like protein skimmers and reactors for various medias if you want to run them in the future

Since your tank is already set up and running, you'd have to get yourself an overflow box that hangs on the back of the tank. You use this to start a siphon and drain water from the display tank down to the sump (which is usually under the tank in your stand, but some people have it in a 'fish room' or run a basement sump setup)

Within the sump itself you have at least two chambers, one where the water drains into, and one where it returns to the main display tank (via the return pump). Your overflow box will have a rating in gallons per hour, you want your return pump to have a similar output - dont forget to account for head loss for the plumbing and the vertical rise from the sump back to the main tank.

In the sump you can also run a refugium in a third chamber, where you can grow some chaeto to pull nitrates out of the water.

In addition, you can use the sump to hide things like heaters to keep them out of the main tank. You can also run your protein skimmer in the sump. While you could probably get away without one in a 55 gallon tank, i would strongly advise that you run one. Once you see the crap it pulls out of the water you'll see why.

A sump is not required, but it makes it easier to run things like protein skimmers and reactors for various medias if you want to run them in the future

Since your tank is already set up and running, you'd have to get yourself an overflow box that hangs on the back of the tank. You use this to start a siphon and drain water from the display tank down to the sump (which is usually under the tank in your stand, but some people have it in a 'fish room' or run a basement sump setup)

Within the sump itself you have at least two chambers, one where the water drains into, and one where it returns to the main display tank (via the return pump). Your overflow box will have a rating in gallons per hour, you want your return pump to have a similar output - dont forget to account for head loss for the plumbing and the vertical rise from the sump back to the main tank.

In the sump you can also run a refugium in a third chamber, where you can grow some chaeto to pull nitrates out of the water.

In addition, you can use the sump to hide things like heaters to keep them out of the main tank. You can also run your protein skimmer in the sump. While you could probably get away without one in a 55 gallon tank, i would strongly advise that you run one. Once you see the crap it pulls out of the water you'll see why.

ol im abput to buy a 100g skimmer from instand ocean and a over flow box for sealife and ill buy the sump later are these brands good brands?

It sounds like you have an undergravel filter (do you have a plastic "plate" that sits on the bottom and the powerheads draw water in and up tubes connected to the plastic layer)?

If so, I would highly recommend taking this apart and getting rid of it before you convert the tank to a reef.

The Octopus skimmer you linked to is a good one. :)

ok so i think i figured it out. ithink.. im gunna buy a protein skimmer for the sump, a sump, a back overflow box, and a t5 lighting system? is this all i need for my 55 gallon ree take converson? and im gunna take the under sand bed full filter system out and use the power heada for water movement but overall with my frags and fish live? oh and of course ill buy some live rock

I had this skimmer on my 55g tank for 2 years it is a great skimmer and my fish and corals are very healthy. It doesnt take up much space and does not put off heat. Its an excellent skimmer I even use the exact one in the bigger size now for my 75g tank.

I still recommend getting a HOB skimmer, removing the filters you have and using only the skimmer and live rock as your filtration.

Upgrade to T5 lights mine is for sale in a couple of weeks :o)

If you decide to go with the sump and plumbing that is fine too but just know its going to be expensive when you start to add up the pumps, extra tank, overflow box and tubes. This is a big reason I never did it, not to mention the possibility of a leak is higher compared to not having it. the HOB skimmer is plug and play, extremely easy to use and works well.

Once you get ready to upgrade to a bigger tank (and you will, we all do!) then buy a tank that is predrilled and do the whole sump and stuff then.

Also stop using the flaky/pellet food and switch to frozen mysis you fish will thank you.

Invest in the RODI unit but until you can get that you can get RODI from the fish store for like $1 a bucket

Did you mention if you had fish or other livestock? If you do, be prepared for any ammonia spikes from removing the U/G filter. Have some water ready to do several some water changes just in case.

I had this skimmer on my 55g tank for 2 years it is a great skimmer and my fish and corals are very healthy. It doesnt take up much space and does not put off heat. Its an excellent skimmer I even use the exact one in the bigger size now for my 75g tank.

I still recommend getting a HOB skimmer, removing the filters you have and using only the skimmer and live rock as your filtration.

Upgrade to T5 lights mine is for sale in a couple of weeks :o)

If you decide to go with the sump and plumbing that is fine too but just know its going to be expensive when you start to add up the pumps, extra tank, overflow box and tubes. This is a big reason I never did it, not to mention the possibility of a leak is higher compared to not having it. the HOB skimmer is plug and play, extremely easy to use and works well.

Once you get ready to upgrade to a bigger tank (and you will, we all do!) then buy a tank that is predrilled and do the whole sump and stuff then.

Also stop using the flaky/pellet food and switch to frozen mysis you fish will thank you.

Invest in the RODI unit but until you can get that you can get RODI from the fish store for like $1 a bucket
Im gunna go buy rodi water today with some salt and then ur protein skimmer should help out alot, btw is their anymore stuff i need to buy for ur skimmer or does it come with everything? thanks

does anyone know what levels in the tank are most important to check in a REEF aquarium?

Since you are experiencing the slimy algae you should test for phosphates. You can get a complete reef testing kit to test all these levels for about $25

I agree that when you remove that under gravel filter you will probably get a spike in ammonia from stirring up the sand and rocks so be ready to do some water changes so it doesnt hurt your fish.

Since you are experiencing the slimy algae you should test for phosphates. You can get a complete reef testing kit to test all these levels for about $25

I agree that when you remove that under gravel filter you will probably get a spike in ammonia from stirring up the sand and rocks so be ready to do some water changes so it doesnt hurt your fish.

can u send me a cideo of the skimmer

Back