plumbing a 20 L

UnderwaterWorld

Reef enthusiast
So I'm looking into getting a 20L plumbed, Drparker has offered to drill it for me so I'm set in that aspect.

On the other hand I need to figure out where the holes should be drilled and what I'll need to plumb it along with cost. Don't want to have to spend a ton.

Thanks,
Matt

also make sure that the glass isnt tempered. If it is, it will just shatter into little cubes of glass like auto glass does. Check with the manufacturer.

Brian

I know of no manafacturer using tempered glass even in the bottom of a twenty gallon tank. AGA is the largest manafacturer of glass aquariums and they do not start putting tempered glass in the bottom of their tanks until 37 gallons. If it were me I would drill two 1 1/2 inch holes (for 3/4 bulkheads) and two 1 1/8 inch holes (for 1/2 inch bulkheads). It is quite possible that they will not have the holesaws for thesmaller bulkheads and then you would need four 1 1/2 inch holes. The two larger bulkheads would be for the overflow feeding the sump and the two smaller for return lines from the sump. The reason for two drain bulkheads is for redundancy, in case one is blocked or clogged, and to reduce noise. The reason for two return lines is to hopefully prevent the need for unsightly power heads in your tank. If you can return your water through two nozzles you can supply better water movement in your tank. The holes should be at least one holes diameter from the top off the glass or the edges of the glass. The top of the glass is generally considered the level of the ledge inside of the tanks plastic rim. A good source for overflow boxes is http://glass-holes.com. I would put a holes distance between the two overflow holes. and place the return (small holes) several inches at most from the inside edges of each side of the tank. Of course all holes are in the back wall of the tank. It takes about five minutes per hole to drill through 1/4 inch thick plate glass. Remember that when they quote a price to drill the holes. I drill about a hundred fifty holes or more per year. It is very easy, but requires patience. A hobbiest diamond bonded hole saw bit runs $10 t0 $15 depending on size. A professional bit runs about five times the hobbiest price. The hobby bit will cut 2 to 20 holes, depending on your lubrication and patience. THe lubrication is just water. You actually grind through the glass, you do not cut the glass. A professioanal bit will cut about 200 holes.

Last edited:
Back