Plumbing at the sump ????

RAYRAY

Tiny Tank Club A+ Member
Quick questions about the plumbing going into the sump.
Does everyone run the plumbing deep under the water level, above the water level or at the water level?

I have my line to the fuge section right at the water lever and I am getting alot of micro-bubbles even with some filter floss at the end. I can control the flow with a ball-valve but didnt want to slow it down to much. How can I tell if I have enough flow or too little in the fuge????:frustrat:

I have the line going to the skimmer section like 4 inches under the water line with a small floss bag and get micros in there as well but the disperse through the dividers in the sump.

You can see a photo if needed in my Making a Move threrad.
thanks

Nope.But the waters got to go through 2 sets of bubble traps before it gets to my return pump.Plus I'm running a slow flow through the sump.Just a Mag 5 return pump.

Mine drains 3-4'' underwater.There are some large bubbles not microbubbles.The sponge between the baffles catches any bubbles trying to go to the return section.This is not my design,just the way the sump was designed.

I am running my overflow straight to my fuge. I can control it the flow with a ball valve, but to get rid of the micros I have to cut the flow almost OFF. ?????? I dont have bubble traps from the fuge to the return. Are micro bubbles ok in the fuge ???? I dont get any micros going to the main tank, just in the sump.

Rayray, how many compartments in your sump?
The most typical configuration seems to be 3. Protein skimmer section, return section, and fuge section.
You should T off your drain line so about 75% of the water goes straight to the skimmer section and the other 25% goes to the fuge. Then let the water flow into return from those other two sections.

My 1" pvc goes a few inches below the water line, but that goes into 3" pvc with holes drilled in the bottom. The 3" pvc is behind the skimmer and gfo reactor.

sump1_2-08.jpg

Its 3 sections. I have the overflow flowing down to a T. 1 going to the slimmer section and the other going to the fufe. I control the fuge flow with a ball valve.

Ccapt. Thats a cool idea !!! I like that. Did you silicone the 3" pcv to the bottom of the sump???

My overflow is split -- 75% or so going to the intake area, and the remaining 25% is going into the fuge area on the opposite side of the sump, controled by a ball valve as well. The pipe is just barely above waterline in the fuge, just enough to agitate the surface.

I get microbubbles for the intake area where it's taking in 75%, but none to the fuge. Maybe because of 2 things -- the flow is very slow to the fuge, and the pipe going into the fuge area is angled around 45 degrees, so by the time the water enters the fuge, it's not gushing out, giving bubbles plenty of room to float up and go away before it exits the pipe. Even when I turn the overflow all towards the fuge, no bubbles. The pipe going into the intake area is a 90 degree angle giving a long straight drop, hence all the bubbles (broken by my bubble trap). Just my guess, though.

Back