Plumbing for basement sump

Sunshine

Reef enthusiast
When you have the sump in the basement, do you cut the hole in the wall or floor for the plumbing from the tank ? The tank has duel overflows, I want it to Y under the tank before going into the basement so we only have one hole to drill. Will that work ?

I guess you could Y it off before going to the basement if you increase the size of the PVC going to the basement. For example, if you have two 3/4 pipes and you Y them, you want the pipe going to the basement 1 1/2 so that the flow isn't being restricted. 3/4 x2= 1.5 inch.

If you kept the Y 3/4 the problem is you'd run into a "traffic jam" of water. because 2 3/4 pipes have too much flow to Y into one of the same size.

Make sense?

You can go to Home Depot and buy a y adaptor ( or 2) to turn a3/4 pipe into 1.5 inch.

Yes it does, thank you. Would it be better going through the wall than to the basement or straight down through the floor ?

I don't think it really matters. If you go through the floor, then there will be less resistance and chance for blockage, but if you go through the wall, the water will still get down to the sump.

If you want to run the pipe through the wall, you're going to need somebody who know what they're doing with a drill. Otherwise, for a professional look I'd call a plumber. A plumber could knock it out in no time, and it wouldn't cost you as much as you think. PVC is cheap, and depending on the size of the home, I wouldn't think that it would cost more than $200 tops.

Also, make sure that you put some valves in the pipe on the 1st floor so that you can control the flow without having to go into the basement.

If you've got carpet, you could drop it right through the floor not problem...slice the carpet where the pipe is going to go down. run the pipe through...If you ever move the tank you can easily fix the hole and you'd never notice the slice in the carpet once you glued it back down.

If you've got hardwood floors that's a different story.

Last edited:
We just put new carpet in. It probably would be better in the floor. That's what the plan was, than I changed it to the wall thinking less damage. But, don't want to be worried about flow constrictions. This is an old house with cellar doors outside. That would be a pain to run out in the cold with a few inches of snow on the cellar doors to fix something. Thanks for the input ..

Back