Plumbing Questions

LOL, Biff! I remember seeing this infomercial where people put this magic putty on things and the water stops, maybe I'll try that.

I have always had a lot of admiration for tradesmen, plumbers, carpenters.... Now, if possible, I have even more respect for them!

Well, I'm not the quitting type. Finally, got the thing to work! The spot where it connects to the cold water supply is slightly leaking. By slightly, I mean it "sweats" and once every 45-50 seconds one drop falls into the big bucket I've got underneath. I can control the RODI on and off with the cold water supply so tomorrow I'll see if I can find something else so it won't leak at all. I don't understand how to get the water out of the tank once you put it in there. Right now the water is going down the drain to flush the system. Do I disconnect the water from the purifier and use the valve on the top of the tank to turn it "on" and "off"? My instructions were not well written! Thanks to everyone for lending their support!

Catherine

I'll bet the left overs are from the compression nuts, did you use them correctly?? Plumber is gonna run a lot of money.

Sea Bee, you have my eternal respect! :bowdown:

I googled a picture of a compression nut and that's exactly where it's leaking! I probably didn't use them right but I took the thing apart and put it together every which way I could think of! Like I said, I've got it up and running with a tiny drip every min or so which makes me happy. They included one of those needle valve things and it seems wimpy to me so tomorrow I'll go and see about getting one of those T's they were talking about. I guess I'll have to use a hack saw on my pipe.

My husband is a brilliant man, a physicist, but God love him he's useless with tools!

Thanks, SeaBee

Catherine

The compression nut is maybe for two types of pipe, copper and plastic. If you use the metal ring on plastic pipe it will slice the pipe, make it weak, and drip, but worse, it can let lose when you least expect it. Please make sure the water supply is shut off to that drip, drips turn to floods real quick, you're looking at about 80 lbs. of water pressure there.

On another note, where are you in Wisconsin? I have friends in Deerfield? near milwaukee.

Thanks SeaBee. I turned the water off to that sink. Don't want a flood in the basement!

We are in La Crosse all the way on the other side of the state from Milwaukee. We just moved here a few years ago from Florida.

Thanks again for your help, I'll probably have another crisis or two before this is all done!

Catherine

pull the tubes out take the nut put the tube through it then put the little plastic ring on the tube inside the nut and tighten it up just dont tighten it to much it will make it leak. you may have to go and get some new compression peices if you over tightened them if you do just cut the tube and start all over.

OK, IT WORKS!!!! wOOt! Went to Home Depot and got some Plumber's Putty, silicone and this piece of flat rubber that you can cut to size. Sealed up around the pipes with the rubber sheeting and loaded it down with that Plumber's putty stuff. Ran my unit for about an hour with no moisture at all. My TDS is reading 1-2 ppm which is pretty good I think. Thanks to EVERYONE that offered advice and support. NOW I can order my ponies and keep my fingers crossed that I can get them by December.

Thank you, thank you thank you!

Catherine

I havent been to La Cross in years. Used to stop up there on the way to a camp site I used to go to. Glad you figured it out and it quit leaking!!!

Back