Plumbing questions

avery155

Reefing newb
So I finally got the tank in! I have already painted the back of the tank black and placed it on my stand. I have made sure it is nice and level so now the fun of plumbing begins. I am tight on space due to the two drawers up top and the height of my 30 tank that I am using as a sump/ refugium. To save some room I am thinking about trying to fit the check valve in the overflow area of the tank before the water is returned to the tank. This should not be a problem as long as it will fit right? Also I hope I do not need to take my sump out because it can not come out unless I take the back half of the stand apart so the display tank would have to be drained I am a little worried about that but there is nothing I can do about that.
It's going to be a tight squeeze fitting it in my stand and hopefully all the 90s won't restrict flow too terribly.

Well on a plus note I guess I can ofically start a tank build thread now that I have the tank!

That shouldn't be a problem. But don't rely on a check valve alone. Be sure to drill a small hole right at the water line in each of your return lines as back-siphon breaks.

I personally wouldnt put a check valve in. Just something to get clogged up and cause trouble.

Just put a small 1/8"-1/4" hole right at the water level. Like Biff said

The overflow plumbig that came with the tank does have a siphon break hole drilled if I drill two more. One on each of the loc line return nozzle set up that should be enough then? I assume I would drill them on the bottom facing the bottom of the tank to keep water from splashing. I really didn't like the idea if using a check valve as it is so bulky and I am at a premium for space. Putting a ball valve on the return pump is hard enough.

Also I was orgimay going to use some soft tubing to take some stress off the bulkheads but room doesn't allow for that so if I happen to bump my pump or any piping my bulkheads or tank isn't going to crack is it if I use PVC piping only?

This plumbing is proving to be more difficult than I had planned and I hope I don't have to re do it anytime soon because I will have to replace it all.

Thanks again. Pics and tank build thread tonight hopefully!!

Ok sounds good I will drill one hole in my loc line and that will give me two holes to break my siphon one in the overflow box that is pre drilled and one in my loc line that I will drill.

When I get home I will start plumbing I guess!

Back