Pods!

Altohombre

The Tennis Pro Reefer
anyone know of any good articles or DIY on how to culture copepods? I used to see them crawling around my tank at night, but it seems that either my mandarin is eating them all or my TLC Marine SAT has killed them off. I have added arctipods in the past, but they don't really look alive and my fish usually just gobble them up.

You can build a "pod pile". Just a pile of small rocks so the openings are too small for the fish to get in. The pods will breed in it and will spill out into the rest of the tank. Kinda like having an in-tank fuge.

You can build a "pod pile". Just a pile of small rocks so the openings are too small for the fish to get in. The pods will breed in it and will spill out into the rest of the tank. Kinda like having an in-tank fuge.

got that already and I turkey blaster the arctipods into it. Still don't seem em crawling around like I used to.

Well, arctipods come from arcti-waters. They do well as live food for our animals, but they can't survive to reproduce in our tanks because the water is too warm for them (notice how your LFS keeps them in the fridge until you buy them?). If you want to buy bottled pods to stock your tank with, you can't use arctipods.

supposedly the fridge makes them hibernate. I used tigger or trigger pods too and didn't notice much reproduction.

supposedly the fridge makes them hibernate. I used tigger or trigger pods too and didn't notice much reproduction.
as for thr trigger pods they have a 45 day cycle fro egg to laying eggs so if your fish are eating the befor that they will lean you out quick

I really don't have much to use except a HOB filter I didn't need for my freshwater that I put on my saltwater tank to run a bag of carbon and phosphate remover. Could I use this in any way?

A HOB filter should work. Im running one too on my fuge (for some water flow) with nothing in it but chaeto. I stuffed it with as much chaeto as possible and for a year its been doing just fine. There are alot of pods in it. Give it a try if you have nothing else.

my mandarin does hang out by my pod pile quite a bit. He doesn't seem to be starving, but I want to insure that he is fat. I just don't feel like there is enough since I don't see the critters running around my LR like I used to.

BTW, my pod population has dropped a lot since I put a 6 line in my tank. Certain fish, like damsels, dottybacks and wrasses have a voracious appetite for pods.

Back