polyp extension....

lilduud

Reefing newb
why is my polyp extension so much better at night? during the day my corals often lok like i just bumped into them or they are irritated but at night when the moonlights are on, the polyps are exploding off of the coral. im speaking about my sps mainly. (mostly my neon bn purple stylo and pink digi). is it because they are trying to capture more light since its a much dimmer light? its mostly been since i moved my tank a few weeks ago... and the odd part is it used to be the other way around, my polyp extension was greatest when the most light was on and lowest at night. could it be because my flame angel is awake during the day and nips at them everyone now and then... everything is very healthy and growing faster than ever but id like to have it look that way when the tank gets its most traffic. thanks in advance guys!!

Those particular polyps come out at night to feed...and during the day, the coral puffs up to expand it's flesh to receive maximum light to also feed during the day, therefore feeding all day long.

Thats a Chile coral. It does not require lighting. Its a not a photosynthetic coral. You need to spot feed these.
Scientific Name
Alcyonium sp.
Common Name
Chili Coral, Chili Sponge, Red Finger
Lighting
N/A, non-photosynthetic
Aggressiveness
Low
Current
Medium to Strong
Hardiness
Moderate, good for aquarists with at least 6 months reef keeping experience.
Region
Indo Pacific on reef slopes with strong current. Also found in lagoons with strong tidal currents in shady areas attached to hard substrate.
Small colony size, not generally reaching over 6 inches tall with finger like lobes or branches, extends small white feeding polyps. Colors can be red, orange, or purple.
Since this coral is non-photosynthetic (does not feed on light and contains no zooxantheallae) it must be fed on a regular basis. Any phytoplankton, zooplankton, micro food, and brine shrimp is accepted.
Due to this coral not getting overly large it is an excellent candidate for the smaller nano reefs. If placed in a nano reef, point feeding with a small eye dropper or plastic needled syringe is recommended, as free floating food is undesirable.

Last edited:
Ok I was starting to think this was a bing commercial hah... Anyway, it's on sps that doesn't have feeders. I know that Lps has long sweepers it extends at night but my point is the polyps on my birdnest puff up more at night... It's on an opposite schedule almost.

Oh wow I feel dumb... For the past year and a half I've always seen greater extention during the day. Anything I can do to increase DAILY extension?

Back