Polyps

thebigwhitey

Reefing newb
Hey all,
Was wondering about some yellow polyps I just got. How fast do they grow, and can you move them from one rock to another?
thanks
-KP

Hi there. I'm not sure about manually moving them, but I've had my yellow polyps for a while now. They've been flourishing and have a couple of little ones have started to pop up. I feed them brine shrimp once or twice a week (after turning off the filter and such) and have them under 65 watts of PC light (in a 10 gallon...very small) and they seem to be doing great.

Yellow polyps are like weeds given proper water parameters. Feeding really isn't required, especially something as large as brine shrimp. They are more of a micro feeder. Most of the food they eat is so small we can't even see it. Give them light and good water and they'll be fine. As for moving from one rock to another you can frag them with a razor blade. Do this outside of your tank. Be sure to wear protective gloves and glasses. They can pack a whallup in open cuts or the eyes. Once you have cut them from one rock you can use super glue GEL to reattach them. Be sure to use the GEL. I hope this helps.

so i looked at that, and do i cut the polyps at their base?
it was clear about other corals, but i couuldn't find anything specifically on the polyps...? thanks

Take a sharp razor blade and slice one off at the base where it is attached to the rock. Try not to use sissors as they crush, or a steak knife.

After that use Super Glue Gel or any thick glue gel like that that is cynoacrelate to glue it to a rock. Of course this is all done out of the water and let dry for a minute or so before putting back in the tank. I use the hobbytownusa extra thick adhesive as you just get more for the $$$.

I wouldn't recommend trying it as one of your first corals though as it is smaller and will probably slime like crazy and take a couple tries before it will attach. Try a leather using the tooth pick method first and always wear eye goggles and gloves.

Brandon

Another way is to place loose small rock next to the colony and it will spread onto it, then you can remove the rock without much disturbance of the rest.

jhnrb has the best most successful idea. if they are healthy they will grow quickly, lay a rock or several pieces of rocks nest to the new growth and the polyps should be spread onto the rock pretty quickly. good luck

Back