Porcupine puffer size

Tonycdh

Reefing newb
I'm starting a 60 gallon fish only saltwater aquarium and I am wondering how so n will I have to transfer a porcupine puffer fish to a bigger tank? He'll start out at about 2 inches or so. I am planning on getting a 125 gallon tank eventually to put him in. I know his bio load is pretty big. I just want to know how fast he will will grow. I appreciate your help.

You won't find many people that recommend "upgrading later" because frankly, it just doesn't happen very often. I can't answer your question about growth, but I will say that I would just go straight to a 125, assuming that that size meets his minimum requirements.

First rule of livingreefs is you don't talk about +2.

Seriously I agree with Kbuser too though. All too often we see someone who says I want this awesome fish and I will buy it small and upgrade before he outgrows the tank. Then sooner rather than later the fish dies due to stress or conditions. With these puffers also the growth rate will be dictated by which puffer you get. There are two species that I think are both referred to as porcupines in the hobby, one maxes out at 12" and one get over 3'. If you do end up getting one in your current tank please make sure you have a plan when it does outgrow the tank.

First rule of livingreefs is you don't talk about +2.

Seriously I agree with Kbuser too though. All too often we see someone who says I want this awesome fish and I will buy it small and upgrade before he outgrows the tank. Then sooner rather than later the fish dies due to stress or conditions. With these puffers also the growth rate will be dictated by which puffer you get. There are two species that I think are both referred to as porcupines in the hobby, one maxes out at 12" and one get over 3'. If you do end up getting one in your current tank please make sure you have a plan when it does outgrow the tank.
My apologies, I said to much. :-)

Back