Possible cycling issues- HELP!

picardoflik

Reefing newb
OK- my first FWLR tank, minus the fish part- 30gals. I have 11lbs premium live rock purchased at a reputable dealer which has been properly cured. I added that to the tank 10 days ago. At that time my ammonia levels were at ~0.25ppm... nitrites were about the same. I expected my ammonia levels to increase steadily but they have never risen higher than 0.25ppm. In fact, 4 days after the live rock was added, they were at 0. Nitrites followed suit. Apart from a slight raise again to 0.25ppm 4 days ago, the levels have been at 0.

I chopped up 2 blocks of frozen brine shrimp and added to the tank 2 days ago in an effort to raise my ammonia levels but still at 0.

Current levels are:

salinity 1.0230
pH 8.4
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 20ppm

My Nitrate levels have been 20ppm for 9 days in a row.

I'm just wondering if I should wait it out and expect my levels to rise and fall
or
has it already done this albeit quickly and slightly? Could my live rock already be cultured with enough bacteria to handle the levels in my tank?

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks

Clean up crew. Crabs, snails, stars, etc...

For your tank, I would do 6 astrea snails, 10 blue leg hermit crabs, 3 turbo snails, 6 cerith, 6 nassarius snails, 1 brittle OR serpent star and 3-5 porcelain or emerald crabs.

Looks like all your live rock cause a super fast cycle!

Nitrates dont drop on their own, the only way to lower nitrates is through doing a water change or by growing algae.

I would do a water change and say its safe to add your first fish! Remember to only add one fish at a time and wait for 3 or 4 weeks between additions (a pair of clowns is the exception here) so that the bacteria can grow to handle the new waste level before adding more.

+1 little fish. Having live rock does speed up the cycle considerably. I would do a partial water change. 15-20% too lower the nitrates and then you can add your very first fishie! I know you didn't ask but.. Don't get a damsel! Almost every newbie makes the mistake of getting a damsel and they end up regretting it bc they are so aggressive. start with more peacful fish at fish then add the more aggressive fish last.

Back