Possible Overstocking

rdahlke1105

I'm a girl.
Ok, I have a 28 gallon and I below is the list of fish I am thinking. Though I am starting to think maybe it would be over stocked.

A pair of black and white Ocellaris clowns
A fire fish
Goby/shrimp pair or a neon goby

I would say you're slightly over stocked only because you only have about 22 actual gallons of volume in your tank. The 28g includes the back sump.

Am I right in thinking that you have to take the max size of the fish when you are computing the number of inches of fish to gallon ratio? That is what I have been looking at. Okay, I know the clowns are definite so it would have to be a one or the other on the goby or firefish.

Yea generally you want to look at the adult size of the fish.

You may be ok if your keeping up on your maintenance though. Since the goby/shrimp would be in a burrow all day or the neon being really tiny.

I had a pair of clowns a neon goby and a LMB in my tank for a while but part of me always felt like it was too much.

That is what I have been looking at. *whew* I'm still cycling so I won't be adding any fish yet. I won't be adding anything until everything is at 0's. :)

One thing is my son really wants a firefish and a neon goby. I guess I will have to tell him it will have to be one or the other.

I have a 29 gallon, only have two clowns. Any time I have tried more than two fish, it seems almost imposible to keep things stable. But each tank is different, so you might have luck.

You know the strange thing is that the orange Ocellaris clowns are listed as having a max of 3 1/2" and the black and whites are 3". I thought they were the same species just different coloration.

That is weird but, if you look it also lists the orange ones as peaceful and the Black & Whites as semi-aggressive.

That is strange. I never noticed that until you mentioned it. What I also find strange is that one site will say that the minimum for them is 30 gallons and another site will say 20. I mean make up your minds people! Stop trying to confuse us noobs. :lol:

Ok, I have a 28 gallon and I below is the list of fish I am thinking. Though I am starting to think maybe it would be over stocked.

A pair of black and white Ocellaris clowns
A fire fish
Goby/shrimp pair or a neon goby

How often are you going to water changes? I wont list whats in my JBJ 28 gallon but you can PM me

Oh I'm not through my cycle yet so I haven't done any yet, though I do plan on doing them on either a Saturday or Sunday every week. I ended up having to jump start it with a table shrimp. I used fully cured live rock and wasn't getting any die off. I'm one for knowing what I want, double checking, making adjustments and then double checking again. :)

So far those are the only fish that really have caught my eye and I've been looking at a lot of them. If we decide to go with the goby/shrimp pair, I was thinking the Yashia/pistol combination, but I haven't completely settled on it. I do like they yellow watchman, but I think I would need a bigger tank to make him happy.

Personally, i think that is pretty overstocked if two of those fish are semi-aggressive. I think it might work if they were all peaceful and you were very consistent on your water changes.

I would just stick with the two clowns for several months. Then after you go through the annoying algae phases, then i would think about adding something else.

Actually the clowns are the only semi-aggressive, all of the others are listed as peaceful. I was planning on adding the clowns last.

I still think you are going to have problems with adding two semi-aggressive fish to a tank that is only 22 gallons. That is really squishy living quarters for 3 fish.

Not to mention, i think you are going to find it pretty hard to keep the algae in check with that high of a bioload.

this is what makes it so tough for new comers to the hobby.....when people who have been on the same forum can't even agree:lol:
also,IMO those minimum tank sizes are all useless...for the heck of it i checked the angels(koran,emp) on the DR.s ,it now says 250!!....really??...a month ago it was 125...,but it is OK to put a pink tail trigger,or a humu in a 70, and an Undy in a 50 :shock:.,i could go on and on....yeah,,,its all BS to me

Last edited:
It does get a bit confusing. To throw in even more confusion if you read more than one board and you get conflicting answers between the two boards. Yes I belong to nano-reefs as well as here and read both every day. Over there there are people who have WAY more fish in there 28 gallon Nanos than I am even considering.

Back