power head

315hottuna61

" Take a Kid Fishing "
any ideas on the best placement of a power head in the tank? I have a 55 gal. high tank with a fluval 405 filter. i am basically just starting out and waiting for the tank to fully cycle. Thanx

well you want to turn the tank over about 40 times so I would put a couple of heads in I like putting them on the back wall and bouncing them off the front one in each corner and angle them in a little.. but I would really consider ditching the fluval cannister( keep and use for running carbon or something if needed) it will cause you more harm then good down the road.. just have 1 to 2 pounds of liverock in for filtration and get a descent skimmer and the heads for movement then just do waterchanges and you will be all set..

Just to clarify, you'd want 1/2 lbs of live rock per gallon, not total. Wanted to make sure the OP didn't misread Marcah's post. You'll probably want one power head on each side of the tank, and make sure the surface of the water gets good ripple to help promote proper gas exchange.

i know the fluval is not great but it was with the tank and i have very little room to use a sump ( i am trying to figure out how to incorporate a different filter system)

Back