Power Heads

clownfish123

Reefing newb
I can see greenish algae floating at the top of my tank and i was wondering if i need a protien skimmer or any other peice of equipment to help.

Just a kind tip for a 100g aquarium, you will need a pump and filter rated at a flow rate of at least 500 gallons per hour (gph).

Just a kind tip for a 100g aquarium, you will need a pump and filter rated at a flow rate of at least 500 gallons per hour (gph).

That would only give you a turn over of 5x per hour, you want your turnover to be closer to 30x per hour. So you want around 3000 gph

I have 2 fluval 404 and 1 powerhead rated at 750 gph, it is a cornor bow front tank. I will get another powerhead to increase the flow, is there any particular way that I should be directing the flow? Thanks for all the advice.

I have 2 fluval 404 and 1 powerhead rated at 750 gph, it is a cornor bow front tank. I will get another powerhead to increase the flow, is there any particular way that I should be directing the flow? Thanks for all the advice.

The way I had mine before I got the mp-10 was one was about 6-7in from the top on the left side wall glass pointed up and to the front, then one on the right wall glass towards the back 7-8in from the top pointed down and to the back of the tank I had a third on the back of the tank in the mid range pointed towards the left side of the tank.

I don't know if this will work for you but it did my tank alright.:Cheers:

You need a lot more flow in the tank. You shouldn't have stuff settling on the surface. I would have at least 4 powerheads for a tank that size. Aim them towards the surface of the water so they create a ripple.

Back