Power heads?

I think you should have two powerheads -- one placed in each of the back corners. What is your budget? MaxiJets are cheap and pretty good. Hydor Koralias are a little bit more expensive, but better quality than the MaxiJets. If you have more money to spend, a lot of people like Vortechs. If you go with a Vortech, you would probably only need one. I'm sure other people will chime in here -- I have always only used MaxiJets and Koralias.

I have a 60 gallon and it little fish's advice have qty 2 of the 1400 koralias. Got them off ebay for maybe $40 each? I've had them since September and have been very happy with them. The magnets are strong, they stay in place, no vibration or noise, my corals and fish seem happy.

That is a benefit of the Koralias over the MaxiJets that makes them worth the price -- magnetic mounts. Any powerhead that uses suction cups will eventually fall off!

If you have the cash, I prefer vortechs for their wiiiide flow, smaller footprint in the tank, built-in programs, wireless capabilities between multiple vortechs, and available backup battery for power outtages.
One MP40 would push a lot of water in that tank.

Last edited:
Yeah, for $450 that vortech better push a lotta water Dennis!
I'll stick to the koralia duo for under $100 myself, but, everyone has different tank budgets.

Actually, for $450 it better push a lotta water AND make me dinner every night. Or at least include a turndown service and a mint on my pillow. Cause that's a whole lotta chedda'.

haha, yup... it's a lotta dough. That's why I prefaced it with "if you have the cash". ;)
After owning koralias and tunzes, I prefer the features of the vortech. They're more than just a "water pusher". ;)

I have a 55 set up ad I have 2 powerheads I got off of Ebay, each is 800 GPH. They were an off brand, I think called Sun, but they are doing the job. I only paid 28 bucks for both of them including shipping. They are quiet too. It depends on your budget I guess on what you get.

I HIGHLY recommend the Hydor Koralia 750gph powerhead. I just bought one and it is amazing. I have that and a 250gph small powerhead in my 29gallon tank right now and the Hydor is a nice addition.

Just a quick note about the Koralia, and yes this has been stated before. Make sure you keep them clean! Every 4 months or so pull them out and take them apart. Soak them in vinegar and make sure you pull the prop out. They will lose flow rapidly as they get dirty. I assume this goes for all brands. I was astonished at how bad mine had gotten! Just keep them clean is all I can say.

They also like to reverse when they power down then back up. Its easy to fix, just keep cycling the power until they turn the right direction!

Just a quick note about the Koralia, and yes this has been stated before. Make sure you keep them clean! Every 4 months or so pull them out and take them apart. Soak them in vinegar and make sure you pull the prop out. They will lose flow rapidly as they get dirty. I assume this goes for all brands. I was astonished at how bad mine had gotten! Just keep them clean is all I can say.

They also like to reverse when they power down then back up. Its easy to fix, just keep cycling the power until they turn the right direction!
Keeping them clean helps prevent them from going in reverse also.

Both of mine did it right out of the box!

If you go to Koralia's webpage, there's a place where you can enter your info and they will send you a free part that prevents them from doing it. I had the same problem (right out of the box) will all of mine too.

Back