Powerhead magnets

Im still working on getting things together for my big preditor tank but now I'm having an issue with my power heads. I want to run a couple of Hydor power heads but my glass is 3/4" thick and the magnets won't hold. Anyone know where I can get some more powerful magnets to hold the power heads in place? I know I can't be the first person with this issue. Thanks for the help.

Try a craft store like Michael's or the hardware store like Home Depot or Lowe's. That would be my best guess! I don't know how you'd replace the magnets that are already on them -- or if you would just add to them?

Try a craft store like Michael's or the hardware store like Home Depot or Lowe's. That would be my best guess! I don't know how you'd replace the magnets that are already on them -- or if you would just add to them?

Well I was just planning on replacing the magnet on the outside of the tank. I thought just a stronger magnet on the outside to pull on the smaller one inside the tank. Like I said I can't be the first person to ever have this issue.

After reading your post Im surprised that you are having a problem with the magnets on the hydors. I have 4 hydors in my 120g that has 3/4 glass and havent had any problems. I originally had some cheap powerheads that didnt hold so I got some magnets until I could afford some Hydors.

Back to your issue, I bought "Neodymium Magnet N42 Dia 1.5x1/16" NdFeB Disc Magnet Epoxy Coated" and they were very close to what is in the hydors but more powerful. Im not quite sure if its enough to hold up a hydor without the suction but if you went a little thicker it surely would. Mine were $2.05 each. I would take out the originals that are probably ceramic and just put in Neodymium's of the same size. I believe they are much stronger.

After reading your post Im surprised that you are having a problem with the magnets on the hydors. I have 4 hydors in my 120g that has 3/4 glass and havent had any problems. I originally had some cheap powerheads that didnt hold so I got some magnets until I could afford some Hydors.

Back to your issue, I bought "Neodymium Magnet N42 Dia 1.5x1/16" NdFeB Disc Magnet Epoxy Coated" and they were very close to what is in the hydors but more powerful. Im not quite sure if its enough to hold up a hydor without the suction but if you went a little thicker it surely would. Mine were $2.05 each. I would take out the originals that are probably ceramic and just put in Neodymium's of the same size. I believe they are much stronger.

That is weird, do you think it makes a difference if the tank is acrylic? They will hold in place, but if a fish. Impede them in the tank they would fall off. Thanks for the help and I'll look into getting some ordered

Those Neodymium's are VERY strong. If you haven't used them before take note.

Larger ones can really hurt if the snap your skin between them.

They will shatter if they snap together.

Keep them far away from any electronics you aren't prepared to replace.

I would suggest you buy drilled ones. Attaching a small handle is much easier and they can be a real pain to separate. Did I mention these things can be VERY strong? I mean REALLY REALLY strong?

Back