Powerhead questions.

Veilside0Three

Reefing newb
So I have a question about powerheads. I have attached a quick drawing of how my tank is currently set up. Here are what the numbers represent:
1. Protein skimmer outlet(Octopus HOB 800S)
2. Protein skimmer intake
3. Canister filter outlet(Marineland C-360)
4. Heater(rated for 75 gallons, another 50 gallon heater in skimmer)
5. Canister filter intake

I have two Koralia 2's that I need to add, just wondering three things...
1. Where do I place these?
2. Do I point them towards the sand? Or Towards the top of the tank?
3. Is this enouigh? Or should I invest in more? I would like to stick with the koralias if so.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• tank dimensions.jpg
    tank dimensions.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 182
If I get this right your tanks not reef ready and you don't have a sump. As for powerheads I would get at least two more #3's.

If I get this right your tanks not reef ready and you don't have a sump. As for powerheads I would get at least two more #3's.

Right, no sump. I would love to have a sump, seeing as how I have an extra 20gal laying around, but I do not know he first thing about how they work or anything. So 2 more #3s? And where about on the tank k should all of my powerheads be placed and aimed?

Hi Veil,

1.) I would ditch the canister filter.
2.) Rather than K #2s, Get yourself at least 3 #3s. (2) on left & right pointed down into the tank (1) in the center pointed towards the surface, rippling the water.

You may find that you will even need more powerheads in your 90g tank.
Your goal is to move the water in all portions of your tank, eliminating any dead spots.
The rippling powerhead will be aerating your tank providing necessary oxygen.

Good Luck!

Update : if you already have the #2s, you should add 2 #3s for the L & R. The #2 can be in the center (1) up towards the surface, (1) down into the tank.

Thank you messiah. That is the exact information I was lookin for! Also... Say I wanted to set up a sump to get rid of all of the in tank accessories... What does that require? And how hard would it be?

It's very easy to set up a sump. Since your tank is not drilled, you'll have to purchase an overflow box. I used to use a CPR brand overflow box, and never had any problems with it. I recommend that brand. You'll need some PVC or vinyl tubing to connect to the overflow box and go down into the sump. You'll need a submersible return pump and PVC to bring the water back up to the tank. That's the most basic setup you can get.

If you want to get more "fancy" you can get some plexiglass cut to fit the inside of your sump, to divide it into sections. Then you can have one section for your equipment, one section for a refugium, and one section for the return pump.

If I can do it, anyone can!!!

With a non-divided sump (or make the division big enough) you can use your HOB Octopus 800s on it. This way, you wont' have to purchase another skimmer, just move your current one.

So it's a 90 gallon tank, and I'm going to probably use a 55 gallon sump. It will be a probably 4-5 foot lift for the return. Should I match the pump gph with the CPR overflow gph? Also what size should I use? Is 700gph too slow? Too fast?

So it's a 90 gallon tank, and I'm going to probably use a 55 gallon sump. It will be a probably 4-5 foot lift for the return. Should I match the pump gph with the CPR overflow gph? Also what size should I use? Is 700gph too slow? Too fast?

im using a mag 9.5 (950gph)on my 90gallon. 55 gallon sump is pretty big i would say on a 90. not saying you cant do that.. just my :twocents: worth. :D

It's impossible to "match" the two. What you should do is get a pump that is rated slightly higher than the overflow gph (including you taking into account head space). Then use a "T" in the return line branching back to the sump with ball valves to control the flow from the return pump. That way you can dial it down without putting back pressure on the pump and can control the flow of it.

Exactly. If you go to marinedepot.com and look up the pump you're thinking of buying, they usually have tables for each of their pumps calculated the head space.

Its basically the hight that the pumps got to push the water to the display tank.
You'll lose some flow because of the head,but not really enough to notice in most cases.
I tend to do mine a little different that Biff.I try to get the pump as close to what my overflows rated as I can,maybe a touch bigger.That way I dont have to worry about extra plumbing.

Back