Powerhead Troubles

Rcpilot

Reef enthusiast
I bought cheap powerheads (Azoo) from the 2 Docs and I am dissappointed. I know better than to buy cheap equipment. With my other hobby, cheap equipment costs ya thousands of dollars in wrecked airplanes. So, I know it.

But for some reason, I decided to buy 2 of the Azoo 1200 and 1 of the Azoo 600 powerheads. They squeal and chatter almost constantly. Sounds like the shaft is vibrating around in the seat or the impellor is chattering.

Anyway--lesson learned. At least I can send them back for a refund or credit. That was dumb. :grumble:

I know that most of you love the Koralia powerheads. I'm sure they are top of the line. My problem is they are TOO powerful for my little 30g tank.

I want to use multiple powerheads that are aimed in different directions to provide turbulent water flow. I need to use 3 or 4 powerheads in the tank to get the right flow in the right areas. I don't want to point them all in the same direction so that the water just turns around in a big circle like a toilet bowl.

If I used just 2 of the Koralia 1 powerheads, I'd be pumping 800GPH. I'd prefer to use a few 200--300GPH powerheads down low on the back wall. Opposite sides of the tank, of course. They will point straight across the back wall and blast right at each other. I'm okay with higher flow units back here because there is a lot of rock in the way to disperse the flow and slow it down. I'm trying to prevent gunk and detritus from building up on that back wall.

Do any of you have good opinions/experiences about other brands of powerheads or submersible pumps?
Maxi-Jet?
Rio?
Sieo?
Hagen?
Penguin?

I'd like to buy just once more and be done with it. I have to pull rocks out in order to place the powerheads, so it's not something I want to do every week.

Which brings me to another question:
Is there any way to get good flow back behind my rock wall without burying powerheads behind the rocks? They DO need to be removed for maintenance and having to remove 1/2 my rocks isn't going to be much fun in 6 or 8 months when the tank is stocked to the gills (like my pun?) with inverts.

Last edited:
If you're not going to go with 2 Koralia model ones than the Maxis get my vote,cheap and reliable.

You can drill some holes into pvc pipe and place it behind the rocks.Attach the powerhead to that so you don't have to move the rocks to clean the powerhead.

hardies or softies
i just got a penguin powerhead for my 30. 145gph too much for my softies i think so i just keep it off the main skilter is just fine for flow.

I'll order a couple Maxis.

I feel like such a dumbass for buying those cheap units. I'm 35yrs old. I know better!! :frustrat:

I have a Maxi 1200 on my new CPR HOB refugium. I like it. Seams to really crank. But, it's too much flow for my refugium. I'm afraid it's washing all my pods outta the refugium. It's RIPPIN' through my refugium.

I am pretty sure the 900 has the same size outlet. And it's only 230GPH compared to the 1200 @ 295GPH. I'd actually prefer my refugium speed to be about 150GPH.

I think I'll order one more 1200. I'll remove the existing 1200 on the refugium and use those 2 pumps on my back wall. Then I'll use a new 900 for my refugium to slow it down a bit.

Thanks for the tip on the PCV reeffreak.

I have a 30 gal and the maxis work great. I also got on ebay and bought cheap aquaclear powerheads, for cheap one the out perform the maxis but they're bigger, so IMO maxis are the way to go. The aquaclear 4000 are 365 GPH and 20.00 for two of them on ebay.

Back