Powerhead

Well, I would recommend a minimum of 2, but you can easily do 4. I'm not sure how you have all your rock set up, but I would put two in the upper rear corners, pointing at each other and up at the surface to cause the surface to ripple. This helps keep good oxegenation of the water. The other two I would place lower and more towards the middle or front of the tank, also pointing at each other.

In a 55 gallon tank, you should be fine with 2 or 3 powerheads. Koralias are great, but they are expensive. A good alternative are MaxiJets, which are much cheaper.

Did you put together your sump? I have been looking to possibly switch to a sump system. My tank is not drilled so the overflow would have to be a hangon. Quite frankly just looking at some of the setups with all the plumbing going everywhere is confusing.

I did build my own custom sump. The plumbing was confusing for me too. Luckily, there are much more skilled plumbers on this site than myself, and they helped me out immensely! I'd be happy to share my designs, if it will help you form a plan for your own. Sumps are very beneficial for our tanks, IMO.

I have a 55 with 3 Korallia's, two #2's, one up high facing the middle of the tank and one in the same side left lower corner behind the rock, also blowing towards the middle down the back of all the rock, keeps it real clean. For horsepower I have a #3 in the right side upper back corner, also facing the middle of the tank. That #3 is strong, it blows the sand around a lot so be careful. i also built my own sump and its easy, don't sweat it, we can help you. I bought the Eshoppes overflow and it works great. Sumps are a simple concept but intimidating at first with the flooding worry, it's fail safe, and we can help you test that as well.

My 55 has 2 Koralia 4s and my return pump gives me about 600 more GPH.

I made my own overflow box out of specimen cups, eggcrate, and PVC. Those Eshopps overflows are rediculously expensive for what they are...... and I like making stuff. So if you're the DIY type I could give you some ideas for making your own.

$40 for a very well made (Eshopps) overflow is expensive?

Like Seabee said we are all here to help. I just finished my 55 with sump and it wasn't to bad. Only thing that drove me insane was trying to get the overflow to stop sounding like a toilet flushing. Many here helped me thru that.

I have two Koralia #3's and again like Seabee said they can stir that sand around some. Took me a little bit to figure out where they would create good flow but not stir up the sand to much.

One way to check the flow in all areas of your tank is to use a long stick or something of the sort. Tie a piece of dental floss to the end. I used this end to shove into holes and small areas to see if the floss would move and in what direction (showing water flow). After some time my water flows pretty much around everything.

If your looking for a sump design I still have all the dimensions for the baffles on a 20L which is a great size sump/fuge for a 55 IMO.

Good luck!! Ask lots of questions.

tunze 6025. More expensive than a koralia but worth it. Both of mky K 1's I had to trade in because that start making a humming noise and would get very loud. The tunze just goes. It does 660 gph but you can mod the casing very easy to allow for more flow. Very happy I purchased mine.

Yeah I've got 3 koralia 2's in my 55 gallon. However I am going to get some more powerheads because I have a lot of live rock in my tank which makes flow tougher. If you can afford it go for vortech's, I'm planning on getting one soon.

Back