Powerhead?

F550dieseldriver

Reefing newb
I have a cheap petco powerhead, King 160 - from what I can read on the bottom of the unit. I assume it's moving 160 GPH.

I also assume that it's not enough for my 29 gallon tank, so I'm looking at using a combination of 2 powerheads.

I found these on eBay and was wondering if i could get some input.. Will these be better than what I'm using? Overkill?

Also, I'm not really sure about the numbers...like how much the powerhead SHOULD be turning over, GPH, etc.

Anyway, here's the ebay link:
2 1300GPH CORAL AQUARIUM FISH PUMP WAVE MAKER POWERHEAD - eBay (item 310262809050 end time Nov-17-10 10:46:05 PST)

Thoughts?

Those would probably be overkill in a 29. Basically you want as much flow as your tank can handle without blowing the sand around. In my 28g I've got a 700gph pump (through 2 return lines) and a 425gph powerhead moving my water.

Ok, Thanks. I also saw they had some smaller ones of the same brand. (2) 800 GPH pumps, for a total of 1600 GPH instead of 2600 GPH with the bigger ones. There's only a couple dollars difference between the two.

Anyone think (2) 800 GPH's be okay in a 29?

id say thats still a bit much... i have one 240gph powerhead in my 10 gallon so about 24 rounds per gallon per hour. for you it would be 55 rounds per gallon per hour... personally i wouldnt go above 30 or 35 but thats just me.

oh and in my 55 i have (2) 400 gph powerheads as well as my 600 gph return line for a totall of 1400 gph.... resulting in 25 rounds per gallon per hour... in that tank [mainly because its larger] i could add plenty more but im comfy with the amount of flow i have now.

[and also the return almost doesnt count because its dispersed between 2 lines and isnt pumping out at its full potential anyway]

As long as you can do it without kicking up any sand. You can buy them and try it out, if it's too much flow you could always use the extra to mix up salt water for you.

yeah lol, I have 2 of those 1300's that you linked from ebay in my 50g and that's a lot. WAY too much for a 29g.

Also note that manufacturer product is cheap b/c sometimes the powerheads will reverse when plugged in. I have to turn them on/off until it blows correctly.

I can't answer your question, but I found your question by searching with Google for the Petco King 160 Powerhead. I just purchased one for my tank and can't figure out how it goes together. where does the tubing go? There is a coned shape net looking thing, It seems that it should point down in the water. The other inlet has two inlets. What goes where?
Thanks for any help you can give.

I have a cheap petco powerhead, King 160 - from what I can read on the bottom of the unit. I assume it's moving 160 GPH.

Omg, 160 gph? I have one that's 250 gph and almost literally produces nothing. But it doesn't really make sense, I have another direct-flow powerhead which is 296 gph, I think, and it's like 20 times more powerful.

Back