Preparing To Go "Live"

Nanna

Reef Freak
Hopefully, in the next few weeks I will be ready to add some livestock to my 55g show. I've been researching CUC and reading alot of posts trying to decide who will be my first tank mates.Just came across posts about a QT.

So, here are my questions:
1) What do I add to the QT to keep unwanteds from going into my display tank?
2) Do I need LR and LS in QT tank?
3) How long do my new goodies have to stay in QT?
4) Will a QT tank go thru the same cycle like my display tank?

I quess I'm nervouse because I haven't started a QT tank. If I have to set up a whole new aquarium ( lights, power head, filter etc) my husband may kill me! LOL

Thanks in advance for any info you can point me to or give me.

Ok, I read the article on treating a fish with ick. You mean I need to go thru that complete treatment for every fish I bring home even though it appears to be healthy? A full 4 weeks min. before going into my display tank? Can more than one fish at a time be in the QT?

You can put more than one fish in at a time. But, any new fish you get would have to be QTed as well otherwise it'd be a pointless endeavor.

Many of us, like me dont qt though. I just rely on keeping my system low stress so i dont have to deal with ich flare ups. But, like OhNoNemo will tell you, and do support 100%, an once of prevention is worth a pound of cure. So really its a personal choice, i personally dont have the space to do a QT tank.

But if you set up a QT tank, it just needs a powerhead and a heater. You need to test for the levels daily because you dont cycle it like you would a DT. So you need water change water made up for when those levels to start to creep up. You also usually just put a couple of PVC pipes in there for the fish to hide in. You also dont need to do this in a glass tank, a plastic tub works just as well.

Back