Probably losing another fish, looking for sugguestions

Northstar24

The Tang Herder
So, for those of you familiar with my setup, you know that I recently lost my favorite fish, my prized Potter's Angel

Last night, my Achilles went on a feeding strike, and my Kole's color looked a little faded (but it is still eating)

I'm thinking something needs to be funky with my water, but its not making any sense to me, the few corals and inverts that I have are all accounted for, including my clam which I understand to be more susceptible to water conditions

Here are the results of water tests that I just finished
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
PH 8.2
Alk: 8
Cal 425 ppm
Salinity 1.025
Temp: 78

Stocking list is as follows
Ocellaris Clowns
Yellowtail Damsel
Melanurus Wrasse
Black Leopard Wrasse
Banggai Cardinal
Achilles Tang (Hunger strike, not picking at rocks, showing some signs of ich which he hasnt shown in the past)
Kole Tang (Burgandy color looks faded somewhat, is still picking at rocks, nori, etc)
Hippo Tang (Not showing any ich, which is suprising to me)
Naso Tang
Sailfin Tang

Inverts
Various snails and hermits
Cleaner shrimp
Blood Red Shrimp
Coral Banded Shrimp
Pagoda Cup
Kenya Tree
Red Monti Cap
Zooanthids / Paly's (various)
Pineapple Brain
Red Mushroons
Pulsing Xenia
Crocea clam

I'm thinking its nitrates, which I have been battling for at least the last month and a half. I tried a two little fishies reactor for bio pellets but could not get proper tumble with them. I want a new reactor, and I am trying to research so that the next one I get actually works as designed

Water comes out of my well, and is run through a 6 stage RO/DI filter

Am I missing anything? I'm out of ideas, and if I lose my Achilles....I may be done with this hobby

And you're sure no stray voltage? I don't think 10ppm nitrate would have any effect on the fishies. The inverts, sure, but not the fishies.

North, I'm really sorry to hear this :( I have no advice, but wonder if it is age-related. Was your achilles an adult when you got it?

No clue what could be wrong but I just wanted to say you have a lot of really cool fish! Good luck with this issue! I hope it's just one of those things that works itself out quickly and without losing any more fish! :-)

Matt! Don't give up! Everyone's tank goes through rough patches... this is just one of yours.

You have kept some of the coolest fish on this site. Chin up. :D

Do you have any algae? I don't think nitrates at 10 would bother any of the fish -- but if you have a lot of algae it may be masking a more serious problem.

Is this still accurate?
Current Stock List: Achilles Tang, Naso Tang, Sailfin Tang, Hippo Tang, Kole Tang,
If so, the problems is more than likely stress.

I have one small patch of what appears to be cyano, but other than that no algae.

Tangs have co existed for quite some time without issues, there is zero aggression between them- so I don't think it's stress related

Back