Problematic live rock

Shane1

Reefing newb
Hey all I have a chunk of rock in my tank with some vermatid snails and aptasia. I'm not a fan of the snails and the Aptasia just wont go away. I've dosed it 4 times now with AptasiaX and it comes back every time and gets pretty big in about 4 days. I'm seeing several little aptasia around the tank now.
I like the look of the rock but not the creatures associated with it. I've read some posts about bleaching and cooking the rocks, but that seems like alot of work for a softball size chunk. Are there any other options or should I just replace it with other rock? I would hate to replace and end up with something worse. Looking for a little guidance.
TIA Heres a pic
DSCF1416.jpg

Take the rock out of the water, try to remember where each Aiptasia is, (may take a few applications, but target a single aiptasia and make sure you know exactly where it is), because they'll shrink into their holes.

Once you locate their holes, seal them and any nearby holes with super glue gel. Entomb those frakkers one by one. You can take it a step further and cover the glue with epoxy, to ensure that coralline will grow over it later.

Your best bet is to just boil the rock or bleach it...trust me. Those pest are a pain to get rid of using other methods.

But if they are already spreading around your tank, its a little too late to boil the rock. You are just going to have to remove, cook them with the Aiptaisia X and then glue method.

I've only had aptasia once. there were about 50 little tiny guys on the based of my trumpet. I injected as many as I could with lemon juice using an insulin syringe and a peppermint shirmp took care of the rest. I don't think a peppermint will eat the large ones but I'd put one in to see if he can take care of the new ones that are popping up. it's hit or miss. Try injecting those big guys with lemon juice. I don't know if injecting the vermatids would work. Give it a try or chisel them off.

Your best bet is to just boil the rock or bleach it...trust me. Those pest are a pain to get rid of using other methods.

So I ended up taking the piece out, and boiled it. I have it and some other pieces soaking in salt water right now. I'm goin on vaca so I'll deal with it when I get back. I actually really like how the tank looks with out it and the clowns are swimming around that area like crazy.?
I think I will get a pepermint shrimp when I get back to try and battle the small aptasias.
Thanks.

But if they are already spreading around your tank, its a little too late to boil the rock..

The way I thought about was that every time I dose with the aptasiax and it didnt kill it, it was just spreading more and more. Hopefully staying on top of the little one with the aptasiax and a pepermint shrimp will keep it from spreading anymore.
Thanks

You can use Berghia nudibranchs. They only eat Aiptasia, so it won't be a hit or miss like the peppermint shrimp. Once the Aiptasia is gone, you can trade the Berghia with another hobbyist. If your tank is large enough you can use copperband butterflyfish, although they will probably pick at corals too.

Back