Problems keeping a stable temp. HELP!!

PringlesLFE

Mmm...Salty.
I have a 20L set up just to keep myself entertained with some damsels until I upgrade in the summer/fall.
I'm using a generic no-name LED fixture that I bought off one of my LFS guys who gets a lot of his LED's DIY...and I never had a problem with them heating my water in the past.

I have an Emperor 400 on the back with Chaeto in it and an old 2.5 gallon hood that i'm using for the VHO bulb to grow the macro.

I set my heater to 78 but just now I noticed the temp was sitting at around 90F...is it possible that I have a screwy heater? or would the light on the back really be able to heat the water up as it passes through the filter?

I had this problem this afternoon also and ended up doing a 25% WC with cold tap water just so I could lower the temp. Please help!

Also...when I put my hand in there...it felt like 90degrees this afternoon when I had this problem...but when I'm doing it now..it feels like a cool 80 or lower. I use a glass thermometer and just put in a second one to double check...and they're both reading the same thing.

I would bet your heater has gone bad. Unfortunately, heaters seem to be the most unreliable pieces of equipment in this hobby. Tank boils are all too common!

Dammit. Had a feeling it was the heater...is there anything wrong with buying a 250 Watt Marineland Stealth heater and put it in this 20Long until I get a bigger tank in the summer?

I would suggest getting to smaller heaters instead of one big one. This way you have a failover in case something happens to one of them.

FYI, this is why a controller is a good idea for a heater.
If the water gets too hot, the controller will cut power to the heater.

FYI, this is why a controller is a good idea for a heater.
If the water gets too hot, the controller will cut power to the heater.

+1, I am in the process of getting an Apex system. Full alerts to my phone, and controlable from it as well :Cheers:

Back