Problems with the tank

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
I got all those corals last week, and my anemone died. I checked all my stats at lfs yesterday, and everything looks good except my alk is very low. My tank is going for a crap. Corals aren't looking healthy the last few days, and my tank has produced diatoms for the first time in ages. It's hard to describe, my corals just aren't happy looking, and the tank has a bit of a murky, not clear look to it? To top it off, it looks like my christmas wrasse is more of a coral killer than my coral beauty was. I guess I just need to vent. Gonna check my stats again, but tomorrow, I have a wedding toninght.

Sorry to hear about all the problems going on with your tank. The first feeling i get, is that maybe you stocked faster than you should have. How long has your tank been running...Im at 8 months and i still feel that there is more maturing to do especially since im planing on having anemones...But corals in general, also need mature tanks, not just anemones...

If your tank is still under a year old, i would slow things down a bit...If I have learned one thing, its that since im not a marine biologist, the only chance i have in a successful tank is if I go extremely slow. If i want to play with the big boys, i need to understand my tank and that will only happen if I stock slowly as it will give you the opportunity to observer things better...

Last edited:
Give us the run down.All the numbers.Whats been dosed along with how much and how often.
Hate to hear your having trouble with it.

I thought you 2 was already married?:mrgreen:

Your tank is still young and therefore, unstable. Stuff like what you're experiencing happens a lot in tanks that are less than a year old. Like Yote said, run the usual tests and let us know... Sorry that things aren't going well. You'll get through it, whatever it is, it's fixable.

I'll do numbers tomorrow, but as of Thursday all was 0 except for alk, which my lfs said was very low. Calcium is actually up from my last test, now at 400. Like I said, nothing is dying, it's just not as bright as it usually is........

Nitrates were at 2 as of 3 days after anemone died. I started this morning and my calcium was at 450 and my alk was at 9 dKH which is up a bit from the other day. I will have to take the rest later as I have family here, but things look alot better than yesterday. Can a tank just have a "bad day"?

I'm not so sure about a tank having a bad day...Tanks usually dont go thru mood swings...So i think this is something that you need to fix at the core or it might backfire again.

Heres a little something I've noticed.
My fish act like they would in the wild in relation to weather changes.The fish will hide in the rock when a storms coming,and their active when the little birds are singing.
So Yeah,A tank can have a bad day depending on the baremeter.Just like deer,turkey,bass,and anything else.

Back