Proper Testing

earman88

Reefing newb
For the first 4 months or so of my 10g, I alwaysed used the small test strips to test ph, alk, nitrates etc.. I think they were the 5 in 1 strips.

I am 'remediating' my tank from a huge algae outbreak, and am out of test strips. I am thinking I need to just go ahead and invest in the drip test kits. Can anyone recommend testing products or something for my 10g? I want to be able to test for copper and other elements as well.

I don't want to buy too fancy of something if it isn't necessary. But if a nice kit will be worth it in the long haul I'll get one. Thoughts?

Alright, thanks. If i was just to get the basic $20 API drip test kit, should I order any of the specific Salifert tests separately? If so which ones? I just want to make my 10g a coral growing machine, so I was thinking maybe copper and magnesium?

I would use API for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate

Then when you get a bunch of SPS corals, then look into getting salifert calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium.

Why do you think you need copper? You shouldn't need a copper test kit unless you got rock from a questionable source or something like that. You definitely shouldn't have to test for copper on a regular basis.

You should get test kits for pH, alkalinity, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, magnesium and calcium for corals.

The API kits have always worked fine for me, but they are less accurate and harder to read than Salifert. Salifert are a lot more expensive, though.

Back