Proposed Set up

I666NoB666I

Reefing newb
Can anyone give me any feedback on these items?

120 Gallon with overflow
Stand /Canopy Budget
Reef Sump
Mag 1200
2 Koralia 1050
NWB150 Skimmer
4 Panorama Marine LED by Ecoxotic 48"

I have 3 Koralia 1050's - they are crap. Lots of problems with start-up and quality issues. I have a sicce voyager 3 - more expensive but an infinitely better investment.

Otherwise everything else looks good. Mixed reviews on the OTP pump on that model of Reef Octopus skimmer.

I'm a huge fan of Mag pumps as return pumps. Rock solid.

Don't know much about the LED's - I've always used T5s

Those leds are of strip lighting, kinda takes a shape of a hood right? They are good lights, but kessil, radion makes lighting alot smaller with a punch. My arms are way to big to try and clean the dt, set up corals, corral fish etc. It makes it way easier to get the big projects done without having to disassemble the lighting each time. Worth a look in to!

120 Gallon with overflow
Stand
Reef Sump
Mag 1200
Live Rock, 40 lbs
Aragonite Sand 3 bags

Can I start cycling with just these items or do I need lighting?

You don't need lighting until you start getting corals. In fact, my 125 didn't have any lights at all the first several months, even after I got fish LOL But if you plan on having corals, you do need lights.

You can kick off a cycle by tossing in a cube of frozen mysis (which was how I cycled mine) or just a piece of table shrimp.

But then again, if you get the live rock, you might not even go through a cycle. I'd just give it a week before adding fish, just to be sure you have no die off from the live rock.

Back