Protecting nemo

Sure hope they put exceptions in for tank bred fish!

I have a pair of tank bred Clowns. I prefer to get tank bred fish and corals of course!

Sure hope they put exceptions in for tank bred fish!

I have a pair of tank bred Clowns. I prefer to get tank bred fish and corals of course!

I'm sure they will. There are exceptions for corals that are bred by hobbyists (nepthea), as well as other types of threatened/endangered fish (seahorses, cardinals) that are captive bred.

I wonder which is more damaging to the reefs:
-Regulated/Limited collection of wild fish/corals.
OR
-Unregulated influx of tourists being hauled into reefs by boats and dumping sunblock, food, alcoholic beverages, etc into the water.

There is also the issue of massive development of beachfront properties resulting in silt and waste runoff into the waters and killing of reefs wholesale.

Stopping the collection of hundreds of wild fish will not save them if the reefs are killed off on a more massive scale by other factors.
The Fish/Coral trade industry in this case is the "little fish" compared to some other factors.

I wonder which is more damaging to the reefs:
-Regulated/Limited collection of wild fish/corals.
OR
-Unregulated influx of tourists being hauled into reefs by boats and dumping sunblock, food, alcoholic beverages, etc into the water.

There is also the issue of massive development of beachfront properties resulting in silt and waste runoff into the waters and killing of reefs wholesale.

Stopping the collection of hundreds of wild fish will not save them if the reefs are killed off on a more massive scale by other factors.
The Fish/Coral trade industry in this case is the "little fish" compared to some other factors.
Reading the article, this is the main reason to make them endangered. So that way their habitat can be protected from this.

Yes, but the primary reason why their habitat is dying off is the warming and acidification of the oceans due to climate change. Designating the reefs as "protected" will not prevent their destruction from that cause.

Yup, that's how it seems to go on a lot of things now a days. Sad to say but true. I just saw something on the discovery or animal planet about the great barrier reef and thinking this is going to be the only way(besides my tank and others) that your going to be able to see this wonderful creation.

Back