Protein skimmer help

Ryan1221

Reefing newb
I have a fluval Osaka 260L. I have a fluval 406 canister filter that I run chemi pure carbon. 75lbs of live rock and 80lbs of live sand. I am in the process of adding a sump and the next step I need to figure out is what protein skimmer I need. I plan on having some coral and a medium bio load.

I am currently looking at the following name brands:
Skimz
Reef octopus
Tunze
Aqua C

Are there any other name brands that are worth considering? What specifc model do you think would work best for my setup from the name brands above?

I want to make sure I don't get some cheap brand that won't last. I am not one that gets something cheap and ineffective just to have the piece of equipment.

Help would be greatly appreciated as I am new to the saltwater aquarium hobby.

I have used eshopps HOB skimmers for two years and never had a problem. They are much cheaper than a lot of other skimmers, and do just as good of a job. However if you have the dough, reef octo is smexy.

Thats a nice skimmer. Its made to be used in sump from the look of it. Are you running a sump or where you going hang on back?

Cant argue with that skimmer you are leaning towards. Its a beast and will do very well for you.

How much room would I need for it? My sump is 10x16x15. Would that be big enough to fit a protein skimmer and a return pump?

10x16x15 is that 10 length 16 wide and 15 high? the skimmer has a Footprint: 8.3″ x 9″ so that gonna take half the sump..... my sump is 24 long 9 wide and 15 high (or tall) Its what would fit in my stand. Anyway how big are the chambers.

Look at the Bubble Magus Skimmers as well. They are great skimmers at a lower price point than the Reef Octopus. With that one you are looking at, I would swap the pump out for a PSK1000.

Back