Protein skimmer not working

leon1972

Reefing newb
Hey guys. It appears that my protein skimmer is not working properly. It does not seem to be skimming at all. I figured I would start with it bubbling bout 1/2 way up the tube and then go from there as far as waste producttion goes. The thing is I do not seem to be getting any waste production at all and I know it was working before. I was told when cycling my tank to turn it off and it was working fine then. Now that I have turned it back on though it seems to be getting nothing in its collection cup

if its anything like the red-sea prism skimmer I've been through 3 motors before giving up on that thing the only thing deluxe about it is that its a piece of crap. 1-2 weeks is all i ever got out of each motor. let alone the leaky O-rings for both the motor, collection cup. At lest that what I've dealt with on that product. So yeah I hope its not red-sea because I found out the hard way how much they suck...

How long has it been back on?
Sometimes they do take a few days-1 week to break in again, just like Smitty said. I have encountered this myself.

Can you adjust the cup? If I keep mine all the way up, nothing will collect. If I lower it all the way down, too much will collect. There is usually a sweet spot to keep it at.

Back