Protein Skimmer Opinion

What does everything think about this product:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Protein-Skimmer-Counter-Current-Medium/dp/B0002APZ8U/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1334859966&sr=8-10]Amazon.com: Lee's Protein Skimmer Counter Current, Medium: Pet Supplies[/ame]
I am trying to purchase a skimmer but I don't have a tone of money.

So, does doing regular water changes have the same effect a s aprotein skimmer? If so, how often is regular? Also, is building one from PVC a practical idea? Thanks

Last edited:
So, does doing regular water changes have the same effect a s aprotein skimmer? If so, how often is regular? Also, is building one from PVC a practical idea? Thanks

Sort of. Protein skimmers use bubbles to collect dissolved organics out of the water. Technically, a water change would do the same thing by removing both the water and the organics dissolved in them.

I don't know what size tank you have - but there are many people that run tanks without skimmers, and are able to do so in part by doing regular water changes

Most people would consider 'regular water changes' as water changes done weekly conisisting of 10-25% of the system volume

Personally, I would not run a saltwater system with out a quality, reputable skimmer myself - even if it meant going wihtout one while initially starting up so that I could save to buy a decent one

Ok, I am trying by hand at DIY protein skimmer. I have found a design online that I have build and it has turned out pretty good.
I need a two way pump though. I am building a counter current skimmer and I need water going in an out of the skimmer at the same rate. Any ideas?

Here is a drawing of what I am building. I created this in powerpoint, so it's not to scale or anything. Is using two pumps the only way to achieve this? Any ideads or help would be great. Also, what is a good airstone to create TONS of bubbles? :)

Attachments

• My_Skimmer_Design.jpg
    My_Skimmer_Design.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 2,020
Back