protein skimmer question

dapple

Salty Dog
Hello everyone. I am setting up my first saltwater tank. My question is, I am planning a fish only 55 gal tank with about 50 lbs of rock , 2 hanging filters , probably 4-5 fish - Do I need a skimmer?:twocents:

You dont "need" a skimmer but it will definately help the water quality of the tank..
I would not use the filters on the back, put in a couple powerheads and a HOB skimmer and should be all set..

So with sand and rock only 2 powerheads with HOB skimmer I should be ok. I have 2 freshwater tanks running now and I've always used HOB filters.

the price of the skimmer can very alot by the quality of the skimmer reef octopus makes a nice skimmer..
Hang on Back HOB Reef Octopus Protein Skimmers
try to get a skimmer close to twice your tank size..
for a fish only I would look at the bh 100 or bh 100ss
powerheads I would look at like koralia 550's or a 750 and 550.. Just to get water moving around at a good clip..

the filters are freshwater technology and generally cause more problems than they are worth in a saltwater tank. You will be much happier with a good skimmer

Well I just got one Hell of a surprise. My LFS has a used 180 gal tank for sale. My father is wanting my 45 gal corner tank. So if I sell it to him and sell the 55 gal I am currently planning to setup , that I just polished last night, I can purchase this monster tank. Bit I will have to purchase skimmers and sump. But would you do it? I found a new sump on craiglist at a awesome price.

if you want to go that big do it! Its a little more work to keep up on, but your options for what fish you keep and how many are quite a bit larger

Back