Protein Skimmer Recommendations

buddy08

SPS Addict
I originally had my mind set on the Vertex in-250 for my 180gallon upgrade but now that I have the tank; I have found they have been discontinued and it seems hard to find one for sale. With that being said, I need your recommendations based on what you have used (key word; used. please don't make a recommendation based on a skimmer you "Want")

Tank specifics. 180g with 125lbs of Live rock & 75gallon sump; so I may have a total water volume of 230ish since the 75g sump won't be full.

The tank will be heavily stocked with shoaling fish and 4 or 5 smaller species of tangs and an SPS dominate tank.

Budget: Im trying to stay around the $300 range but can spend up to 500. Would love the higher end skimmers but thats not in the budget right now.
Lastly and most important; this tank will be in the livingroom so something not extremely loud is preferred but performance is key.

I have heard of the ASM but not sure how reputable it is because I havent heard many reviews on them. To be honest, by the looks of it; it reminds me of my eshopps on the 75g which I hate but thats me basing an opinion from the looks of it. Have no idea how it runs but will take your word for it being a workhorse.

I run an ASM G2 skimmer and works really well. I have heard a lot of good things about the reef octopus products as well. I don't think you will go wrong either way.

hi buddy08 - i know you want only people to post what they used but vertex has a new line of skimmers coming out the Omega series that they are replacing the IN series. I doubt if anyone has used it at this point as its brand new technology.

There is a review on it on this site (hope i'm not break any rules posting a review from another forum).

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2222623

The 200 and 250 is coming out later this quarter so i' don't know if you can hold on. I've been shopping for a new skimmer (if i can justify it) and am giving this real consideration.

awesome, thank you noy for that link. I hope it drops soon; that looks to be like the skimmer I will go with. Would have already purchased it if it was out. Ill have to follow that thread and see if Vertex releases a date when theyre expected to hit the market.

scratch that, buddy of mine found a local reefer selling his vertex in-280. He bought it last week only to find it didnt fit in his sump so he is selling it for 300. I think I should purchase it, what do you folks think?

Back