Protein Skimmer size problem

Ole Salty

Reefing newb
I have a situation I've never had before, it is almost funny. I set up my tank that came with a 40 gal sump that also included a protein skimmer in the sump. Wait till you see the pics! Anyway I could tell the fit was tight, but little did I know that once everything got running, I would have a problem. I went to empty the collection cup from atop the skimmer and it will not clear the top of the sump to be removed. I then remembered that when I installed the collection cup that we did tilt the sump to put it in, but now with water in it there is no tilting the sump. So my thought now is to drill a drain hole in the side of the cup and attach a hose that will go to an alternative collection cup so that it can be emptied. Any ideas on this?
psk.jpg

pskm.jpg

Sounds like a good plan to me :D

lol, funny cuz I did the same thing with my skimmer! Luckily there is enough room in the sump that I can tilt the whole skimmer a little to take the cup off lol.

hello you could use an aqua lifter and just dump the skimmate into a gallon jug.my buddy had the same problem.13 bucks for the pump a dollar for tubing free jug easy fix

I have actually seen some skimmer cup like that. The hose runs to a jug below, just pull the jug, empty, and replace.

Back